a c++ operating system !

is it possible?

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

25 Replies - 14014 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2009 - 04:04 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 josh06  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 14
  • View blog
  • Posts: 139
  • Joined: 27-October 06

a c++ operating system !

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Is it actuall possible to make an operating system out of C++?????? You know, like a simple DOS based os. Cos when I have learnt it all, I would like to have that project in mind. :) also. Is it possible to even make a GUI for the OS if you built one???? And final question. Like in a year or 2, would anyone care to help me make an OS????? I may sound silly but it's one of my goals. :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: a c++ operating system !

#2 Amadeus  Icon User is offline

  • g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

Reputation: 248
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,506
  • Joined: 12-July 02

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

Is it possible? Are you writining this post from Windows or linux? Both are majority written in either C or C++. GUIs are certainly possible...check out MFC, Win32, GTK...etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 1

#3 NyeNye  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: 24-September 06

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:26 PM

linux had c++ codes 90+%...

it is possible.... :huh: it is a lot of work but it is a nice..idea to create your own customize OS..

Lol
Was This Post Helpful? 1

#4 born2c0de  Icon User is offline

  • printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,667
  • Joined: 26-November 04

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

Yes, you can create your custom OS.
Many Degree courses in Computer Science have that as part of their curriculum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 josh06  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 14
  • View blog
  • Posts: 139
  • Joined: 27-October 06

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

WoW! cool, Im gonna get my head down and learn C++ and maybe ASM. Is a lot of windows probably C++?. Thanks for answering
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 born2c0de  Icon User is offline

  • printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,667
  • Joined: 26-November 04

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

Yes, infact it is.

You'll never go wrong learning ASM.
Sometimes with the knowledge of ASM, you can also solve problems that you have no knowledge of.

Some portions of every OS is written in ASM, or uses C with Assembly Inserts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 horace  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 291
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,900
  • Joined: 25-October 06

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

An good way to learn about low level programming and implementing real time operating systems is to use a microcontroller development board such as the EASYdsPIC2 (which has an onboard programmer)
http://www.mikroe.co...ols/easydspic2/
It has lots of I/O devices such as switchs, LEDs, LCD display, UARTS, CANBUS, I2C, SPI, etc

you can download the MPLAB development environment and C30 compiler free from
http://www.microchip.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 What?  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 27-October 07

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

View Postjosh06, on 6 Nov, 2006 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is it actuall possible to make an operating system out of C++?????? You know, like a simple DOS based os. Cos when I have learnt it all, I would like to have that project in mind. :) also. Is it possible to even make a GUI for the OS if you built one???? And final question. Like in a year or 2, would anyone care to help me make an OS????? I may sound silly but it's one of my goals. :D



Yes I Would Love to build a Operating System Myself, However i do not know how, if You wish to help me figure this out Email Me @ kevinharris1991@yahoo.comm (Perposly Mispelled to protect my Email account from Spam) plz HELP!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 RodgerB  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 66
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,284
  • Joined: 21-September 07

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

View PostWhat?, on 28 Oct, 2007 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yes I Would Love to build a Operating System Myself, However i do not know how, if You wish to help me figure this out Email Me @ kevinharris1991@yahoo.comm (Perposly Mispelled to protect my Email account from Spam) plz HELP!


Hey everyone, can someone help me to like, umm make Windows?! If this is your kind of thinking, quit while you're ahead, If you are seriously interested in creating a basic operating system I suggest you learn ASM anyway, I found a really good tutorial here: http://www.groovyweb...your%20own%20os

(Sorry I couldn't find any C++ ones, but I'm sure you'd be able to execute it with Assembly Inserts).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 William_Wilson  Icon User is offline

  • lost in compilation
  • member icon

Reputation: 205
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,807
  • Joined: 23-December 05

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

View Postborn2c0de, on 7 Nov, 2006 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yes, infact it is.

You'll never go wrong learning ASM.
Sometimes with the knowledge of ASM, you can also solve problems that you have no knowledge of.

Some portions of every OS is written in ASM, or uses C with Assembly Inserts.

Most definitely it is an interesting experience to say the least. Suddenly the reason for comments becomes clear when you have no idea what an OS method does, but you think it's what you need, lol.

I would suggest to anyone who wants to build an OS or part of an OS that they know at least the basics of C and ASM, and probably a good amount of C++.
From personal experience simply modifying an OS is harder than it sounds, much less writing your own. I would greatly push modifying a linux kernel be your first step. Add a simple functionality to it, just to see what kind of operations are needed to do everything in an OS. Since linux is open source and the kernel is available free, thus why i choose it. It also comes with a make file so you can run it with QEMU or some other virtual OS software and not risk a reboot should the new code fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

#11 thekiller4  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hey, Exactly what the other dude said, can you help me or build with me a simple Dos-like operating system, i have been working on an operating system in c# called X-DOS and XFM OS, So whoever needs help or whoever wants to build an operating system with me you are welcome to email me at Njgriebel@yahoo.com, so please help me out here, since i know a bit, can an experienced or non experienced pirson email me please!!This is not spam, i know it is long, but plezzz email me!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 numerical_jerome  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 12
  • View blog
  • Posts: 167
  • Joined: 16-September 07

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Quote

Hey, Exactly what the other dude said, can you help me or build with me a simple Dos-like operating system, i have been working on an operating system in c# called X-DOS and XFM OS


Minix (which actually preceded Linux) is about as minimal as an OS for x86 can get, literally just a tiny kernel and extraordinarily small shell.

Grab the Minix source, when you can read and understand it, and explain the design principals behind it, you will be closer to being able to cut your teeth on solo / meaningfully contribute to a small custom OS project.

Hope this helps,

-Jerome

P.S. Agree 100% with learning OS fundamentals on microcontrollers, usually everything is memory mapped, and they have very simple programming and memory models (not so with most [cisc] higher presicion systems!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Hyper  Icon User is offline

  • Banned

Reputation: 108
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,129
  • Joined: 15-October 08

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:56 AM

Just create your own (super tiny O/S) and make it super optimized for graphics (games *). No boring useless GUI like Windows.

Sort of a DOS but bumped up for the new machinery (64-bit, 1+ TB drives, etc). :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 thekiller4  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

View Postnumerical_jerome, on 27 Dec, 2008 - 03:35 PM, said:

Quote

Hey, Exactly what the other dude said, can you help me or build with me a simple Dos-like operating system, i have been working on an operating system in c# called X-DOS and XFM OS


Minix (which actually preceded Linux) is about as minimal as an OS for x86 can get, literally just a tiny kernel and extraordinarily small shell.

Grab the Minix source, when you can read and understand it, and explain the design principals behind it, you will be closer to being able to cut your teeth on solo / meaningfully contribute to a small custom OS project.

Hope this helps,

-Jerome

P.S. Agree 100% with learning OS fundamentals on microcontrollers, usually everything is memory mapped, and they have very simple programming and memory models (not so with most [cisc] higher presicion systems!

Right, And i already know linux, So i should start learning the fundementals
of operating system, i have alot of life left to live, im only 12
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 badjava  Icon User is offline

  • Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

Reputation: 14
  • View blog
  • Posts: 540
  • Joined: 30-October 08

Re: a c++ operating system !

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

View PostHyper, on 28 Dec, 2008 - 12:56 AM, said:

Just create your own (super tiny O/S) and make it super optimized for graphics (games *). No boring useless GUI like Windows.

Sort of a DOS but bumped up for the new machinery (64-bit, 1+ TB drives, etc). :D


This is something I have wanted to do for years! Surely someone has already produced a minimalist dos type OS specifically to run win based games at maximum performance? Maybe there are too many problems with the complexity of windows apps to make it more trouble than it's worth?

This is one of my goals "when I get to be a real programmer" :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2