Site not working in some browsers

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 878 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help, but I'm not 100% sure with what!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hello

I'm a designer and I've commissioned a developer to build me this site - http://pageturner.org.uk/

The problem is that on some machines the Flash book - http://pageturner.or...ry-school-book/ does not load in. My developer who has now got another job and who consequently cannot help much has said that it has something to do with 'when the book loads it accesses another page called getXML if the connection goes slow when getting the second page, it'll hang and not load in'. He says that all sites even Facebook have this issue, but I cannot believe that the site is un-fixable!

Can any one help or put me in the right direction of a forum that might be more suitable?

Thanks

Sam

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help, but I'm not 100% sure with what!

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help, but I'm not 100% sure with what!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

This problem is actually not on your website. It is a bandwidth and computer (client side) issue. See, everyone pays for internet access and depending on what package they bought will decide how fast they can connect to a website, etc. When using a flash swf on a website the connection must first download the page contents, then when it sees the flash portion of the HTML it can start downloading the swf to play, the problem here is that flash requires the entire swf file to be downloaded before it will do anything else. So if the connection is slow the download will be slow. Once the swf is downloaded and running in the browser it can make any additional requests it deems necessary - in this case that means connecting to the server again and receiving some information from getXML. Then, if a computer is slow with slow internet that will increase the loading time even more, and if it doesn't have much RAM (memory) it will have to do what is called a "swap" where it reads or writes RAM to disk (this is slow).

The point here is that there are a number of reasons that the website will appear to be running slow; none of which are actually the website's fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_sempriny*

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hey BetaWar

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this problem. I think I understand the reason why this is happening now. I was just wondering if there was any way to structure things so that this slowness does not effect the appearance of the site. Possible loading in things in the background first or calling the XML in before anything else etc? This is really not my area of expertise so please excuse me if I am way of the mark.

Many thanks

Sam
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Looking through your images you do have some that exceed 100K size, you could attempt to save those with either less detail of a higher compressions to make them transfer faster from the server to the client (user). Other than that you could look into making the swf file smaller or using fewer images per page. All of those have the potential to speed up loading times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Sempriny*

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Ahh ok, this is good starting point thanks so much for your help.

S
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1