5 Replies - 789 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2010 - 04:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Accessing a web page but storing data locally

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hi Everyone

I hope you can help.

We have a requirement to retrieve web pages from a central source such as a .com or .co.uk domain. The problem we have is that the data which would populate the webpage/form needs to be retrieve locally perhaps within a database such as SQL Server.

The data CANNOT be stored centrally online due to data protection.

Technology/Platform not a real issue at this point.

Example

Office has an internal network with an SQL Server/local database. User would access a website where a webpage containing a form would be retrieved and data would be retrieved from the internal SQL Server/local database and integrated and then displayed via a web browser.

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance.

BB

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Accessing a web page but storing data locally

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Accessing a web page but storing data locally

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi BerbBrown,

Any reason why this can't be built as an intranet site? If any data needs to be accessed externally then you can publish it to a subdomain the same way as many companies make their company webmail accessible externally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Robert Brown*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hi There.

Thank you for your response.

Because the system will be installed in an educational environment, the governing body and data protection require that the data must be stored locally.

The more I think about it the more impossible I see the issue. The web forms served from an external web server but all the data used to populate the forms needs to be stored locally.

Not quite sure what other solution there could be.

BB
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

Hi Robert,

Well I would suggest that hosting data such as this in a secure local network environment in a single database on a single workstation with restricted and monitored access would be far more secure than having many instances of the data stored on the local desktops that need access to it. Managing it would also be made hugely easier, there would not be many instances to get out of sync, it would not be accessible to anyone outside of the local network and privileges to access the data would only be granted to users who require it.

If users need access to the data outside of this local network environment, then the relevant portion of the intranet site would need to be published externally, with access suitably protected (obviously you would not want this data to be hosted outside of the local network).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Robert Brown*

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The data will be hosted in a single database perhaps on a Windows based server locally. SQL Server or MS Access perhaps.

Each user would be using web pages externally which would use data stored locally. Ideally I need to know if this would be possible and if it how?

Many thanks

BB
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:17 AM

I'm sure that this kind of setup could be made to work in theory but I'm struggling to see why it is even required? It sounds to me like to you are needing to give users outside of the local network environment access to data inside the local network, is this the setup we are talking about here?

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick but is there any reason why you can't go down the route I have suggested already? No sensitive data is hosted outside the local network in this setup?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1