8 Replies - 2092 Views - Last Post: 19 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

getting started in Ocaml

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

ok so i have tried to get started in functional programing several times but there is never very good support for setting up compilers and what not so i always just lost track of it in other projects. im a c++ guy all the way and have never dealt with any functional language beyond some simple REPL stuff in Coljure and Haskell that i learned nothing from. i have Ocaml working so i want to give it a fair shot this time. all the tutorials i read show a bunch of syntax that would be grate if i was cumming from a smiler language but im not. are there any places i can get real beginners tutorials that make full programs and not just show meaningless lines? any resources would be grate to have, thanks!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: getting started in Ocaml

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: getting started in Ocaml

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

View Postishkabible, on 16 December 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

ok so i have tried to get started in functional programing several times but there is never very good support for setting up compilers and what not so i always just lost track of it in other projects. im a c++ guy all the way and have never dealt with any functional language beyond some simple REPL stuff in Coljure and Haskell that i learned nothing from. i have Ocaml working so i want to give it a fair shot this time. all the tutorials i read show a bunch of syntax that would be grate if i was cumming from a smiler language but im not. are there any places i can get real beginners tutorials that make full programs and not just show meaningless lines? any resources would be grate to have, thanks!!

I'm not an OCaml guy, so I can't really help you as far as picking the right tutorials go. This seems like an okay resource: http://stackoverflow...ocaml-resources

However, I think you're going about this the wrong way. When you're coming to a functional language from a language like C++ which is very, very imperative, you need to take baby steps. You don't necessarily need to start writing applications immediately. You need to sit down for a while and focus on learning the concepts and becoming familiar with the language before anything else. Just stick with a tutorial, follow along, and put together those 'meaningless lines' to create an application. I can almost promise you that those 'meaningless lines' are very meaningful. In a functional language, a single line can be the equivalent of an entire program in C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

ok it's difficult for me to do this because i most of the languages i have learned the concepts translated extremely well. basically to go from c++ to anything from the range of c# to Python/Lua/Perl you just need to learn some syntax (a little more but that's the just). functional programing doesn't share syntax or concepts very close to any thing I'm used to so it will be a bit of a learning curve i guess. thanks!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

If you're already familiar with C# or another .NET language, consider F#. F# is a language very, very much like OCaml, only it's built for the .NET platform and thus interops with the same libraries as the other languages. Hell, even if you're not but are already using Windows, you might want to check it out. It's a nice little language with fantastic Mono support, and you wont suffer from OCaml's lack of libraries and community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

i don't want to get visual studio. if there is a way to get a compiler/interpreter without getting visual studio im all game. basically i don't want a trial and i don't want to pay, this doesn't leave me with a whole lot of options for getting F# as far as i am aware. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

basically i don't want a trial and i don't want to pay, this doesn't leave me with a whole lot of options for getting F# as far as i am aware.
What trial? Did you even visit the F# website? Not only is it freely available, it's under an open source license (Apache license).

In fact, if you get the free download, not only do you get the compiler ready to use, you get the source code...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

Right, what he said. You don't need VS for F#. You could use MonoDevelop or any text editor you please. F# is freely available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

my bad; i thought it was apart of the visual studio exclusively and you had to buy visual studio to get. i was mistaken apparently :blush:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

You're only half right. If I remember correctly, there is no Express (free) edition of VS for F#, but there is support in the pay-for version of VS. However, if you want to use VS for F# but don't want to pay for the professional edition, you can use the VS shell: http://blogs.msdn.co...or-net-4-0.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1