Best Free Cross-Platform, GUI-Toolkit?

for creating a multilingual IDE

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 7344 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2010 - 01:32 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Free Cross-Platform, GUI-Toolkit?

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

Greetings!

What's the best [free] cross-platform GUI-Toolkit?

There seem to be a large range of toolkits available, [see List of GUI Toolkits], and since I've never coded GUI before, I thought to ask here.

Preferably I'm looking for a toolkit which can be packaged into a single binary (ie; without .dll or .o files), for a project I'm about to begin.

My project entails creating a very lightweight IDE, with support for the most popular, compiled programming-languages.

Please recommend the toolkit which you think would be best suit this project.

Thank you,

Alec Taylor

This post has been edited by AlecTaylor: 17 December 2010 - 04:53 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Free Cross-Platform, GUI-Toolkit?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best Free Cross-Platform, GUI-Toolkit?

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

Let me guess: you're most familiar with Windows but you want your project to run on a Mac or Linux box too. Many have tried, few (if any) have succeeded. First, you're bound to violate the UI conventions of one of the platforms, second, one way or another you're going to end up translating blocks of code from one platform to the other. This will result in inferior code on the ported platform. Just look at MS Office for the Mac: it's a bloated piece of crap.

Add to the above the fact that you've "never coded GUI before" and you see the odds that you'll create something decent for other platforms than your primary platform are extremely low.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 17 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

Just look at MS Office for the Mac: it's a bloated piece of crap.

That may be true, but look at the bloated piece of crap they started with.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:42 AM

Since the OP's goal is not served by flaming Office, Windows, etc., or by telling him to forget about his project before even making an attempt, I'll just mention that Code::Blocks full-featured cross-platform IDE is built on wxWidgets, so that's probably a good place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

There are many: wxWidgets, GTK, Qt, Mono,FLTK. From what I have heard, all of them are great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

I don't mean to say the OP shouldn't attempt to write software for multiple platforms. Only that they should write quality software for any platform. The best example of cross platform software I've seen is Firefox, and I don't see that ever becoming my browser of choice. It's slower than other browsers on my platform and it doesn't follow the UI conventions.

As for Office, it was decent a long time ago, when they wrote separate versions for Mac and PC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

It is good to start with a goal in programming.

Meanwhile you have to realize that for coding GUI for cross platform is quite time consuming. Look at the guys over at CodeBlocks.org. As far as ive seen code blocks is the only real nice IDE for all platforms, it runs really smooth and is easy to navigate, and quite nice too write in.

You will have to think What can you do to make people want to use your IDE instead of CodeBlocks?

I have one other question. Are you just asking at the moment for a GUI toolkit to practice with smaller cross platform programs first?

If so i would also suggest wxWidgets or FLTK. and perhaps just write a couple of programs like a cross platform GUI calculator etc.

Hope this helped you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

> My project entails creating a very lightweight IDE, with support for the most popular, compiled programming-languages.
How "lightweight"?
C::B is a lightweight, compared to say eclipse.

By the same token, C::B is "heavy" when compared to say notepad++. It is just an editor with a simple interface to run a "compile" for your current source file, and parse the compiler output so you can easily do things like "find next error line".

http://sourceforge.n...arch/?words=ide
Before you "go it alone", perhaps consider contributing to something close to what you're thinking of doing. If nothing else, the sheer number of them (and this is only one of several open source hosts) shows that "niche" is an infinitely divisible line. There's always room to squeeze in another IDE between "x" and "y".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1