4 Replies - 629 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2010 - 08:44 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

convert a program to application

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

I am developing a language tools using Visual Studio 2010 C#. The type of my program is windows form. I would like to develop it as an application. What I mean is I want to let end user to run the program. However, the end user need to have visual studio to run the program. Is there any way for me to convert my program to application type?? User just need to click on the application and the app will run even user do not installed visual studio. Please help me on this. Thanks alot.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: convert a program to application

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: convert a program to application

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:10 AM

Within your project directory you will find a subdirectory "bin" which contains subdirectories "debug" and/or "realease" if you have compiled your program before. In this directories you can find the executables of your project.

BTW: You may also create a setup project to make an installation routine for your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

To add on to the last answer. You can right-click on the project name and select Open Folder in Windows Explorer then goto the bin\Debug or bin\Release... The folder you're .exe will be located will depend on the build configuration you chose.. it's probably debug in your case which should be fine for a small application.. At the top of visual studio next to the green arrow you'll see a dropdown that probably says debug.. if you change this to release and build your application it will place it in the bin/Release folder.. All you need to do is take the contents of that folder and put it on the other users machine in a folder you make the put a shortcut on the desktop or where ever and it should run if they have the proper .NET framework installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

That's the simple and dirty way. If your application uses something like an external library or other resources your application needs in order to run, you'll have to create a Setup Project from within Visual Studio.

That will handle all dependencies and everything you'll need, so your client only has to double click a Setup.exe
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

A third option, assuming that you don't have VS Professional or greater (since you don't get setup projects with less than that) is ClickOnce.

If you look in the "Build" menu, you will see an option labeled "Publish." This will allow you to deploy to a web server or a file system folder. This isn't a typical .MSI or a .EXE. It installs in a very specific way (using a .application file) and it will be capable of "phoning home" to check for updates.

It's a nice, quick way to get an application deployed. It's not the way I'd deploy something to third-party users, but as in internal deployment method, it's not a bad thing to do, especially since its free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1