• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 1306 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Android or iOS

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

Hey all!
In the next couple of days i will be picking up a new smartphone.
At the moment, i am planning to buy an Android device, but i am also interested in iOS Devices.
So yeah!
What's your favourite?

-Samuel
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Android or iOS

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Android or iOS

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

I have an iPhone 2G (2G!!!!!!) and I love using it. It's very fast and simple to use. The touchscreen is like no other.

I off course bought it in the Bolivian black market, but you, you could buy a 3G or even a 4G from a carrier and be golden. Jailbreaking iPhones is even easier now than it was before when I first got my 2G.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

My experience wiht the Iphones have always been good from a administration standpoint. The Androids have been hit or miss. For example the Motorola Droid2 android is supposed to have support to pull email from an exchange server. well Motorola fucked with the code and it dosent work with exchange 2010. I dont know if they got that resolved but I dont care either when it dosent work at launch it hits the unapproved list and we dont buy them anymore. We dont do blackberries either...

Then again I like apples. There are android devices that work just fine I would just look into weather or not motorola fixed the issues with the droid 2

This post has been edited by Thorian: 22 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

But the touchscreen is created by a subsidiary of a German company that is based in Taiwan and actually has the technology distributed by many large reputable companies includes Toshiba and Sharp... and is not solely used by Apple.

Wouldn't that make 'like no other' an over statement.

just yanking your chain. :P

anyways, I think it was moopet that said it yesterday. And I say it rather frequenlty myself. My phone has buttons and lets me call people.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 22 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Android by far. apple sucks (this thread will prob not end well..)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 22 December 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

It won't if you keep posting stupid comments like this without any reason behind your opinion. "It sux0rz" is hardly a valid concern for the OP to go on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

I don't think that Apple's products suck! I just don't care for their business practices. You can't just say Apple sucks because that is flaming. Give a legitimate reason and then try again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Reasons I don't like Apple

Apple business practices are hypocritical of the very actions they criticize other companies for doing.

Steve Jobs opts for stock option discounts instead of pay... people tote his $1 yearly salary like he's a saint for it, ignoring these stock options he receive.

Steve Jobs splits stock shares in his favour, diluting the stock pool for other share holders. Any shareholder in the company should be especially weary of this. And it goes back to my previous statement about his faux $1 salary.

The company uses pre-existing ideas in the market, repackaging them as their own, and calls themselves innovators of the market. The iPhone wasn't an innovation (see Maddox's response to the iPhone, it's my fav). It was an effective marketing scheme to bring smartphones to the general consumer market and away from the business market. The idea that it does anything 'better' then any other phone is fully subjective (your opinion) and is not a valid explanation for their statements of being 'innovators'. You are not an 'innovator' because people liked you, you're an innovator because you created something new... which Apple did not. Ok, I'll give em' that they're an innovator in marketing. Damn that Steve Jobs is a marketing master. You have to give him that.

The user experience/interface of both OSX and iOS are sub par in my opinion. It suffers from the very same thing every Unix GUI suffers from (note: I am a linux user and fan, but I do recognize that lack luster abilities of the gui's for all 'unix like' systems). "If you want to do something stupid simple, here it is... all else open up a terminal". Some things are just convoluted...

a) open an app? Well if it isn't on your dock, time to dig for it.

B) Want to connect to a windows share with samba? Oh that's only 15 easy steps! 15 is not easy asshat. (seriously I did a google search once for connecting to a windows share from my girlfriend's macbook, and that was the title of one of the articles). I don't know what it is, but Mac and Linux alike just can't seem to figure out how to create a gui for network administration. I open a terminal, and hell yeah, I can do what I want to. But tell that to my girlfriend who wants to watch that episode of the daily show I just recorded on Windows 7? Yeah, she's not going to be happy with that one... and nor am I. Shit even Ubuntu gets this one right! But not good ol' easy to use Mac OSX.

c) Simple window management tools and identifiers (like the taskbar) are needless and pointless. We have bloated stuff like 'expose' to do that for you...

d) that damn widget thing whenever I mouse wheel click... oh my cock sucking holy fucking want to smash it.

e) finder, oh the things I hate about finder. The evil awful piece of flaming dog shit that is finder.

f) iLife suite - why is it when Microsoft included bundled software with their OS it was monopolizing. But if Mac does it, it's marketing? Oh and iLife sucks anyways. Fuck iTunes, iTunes is complete and utter trash. Holy fuck who developed that bloated thing? Every new update comes with more bloatware... it's the realplayer of this decade.

g) hot keys are awesome. They are SO powerful. They're so powerful that somethings we're going to ONLY include hotkeys and no other method of performing the job. If you don't know the hotkey, well tough fucking bananas fag, you just not MAC1337 yet and you need to go school bitchass!

the list can go on... I just can't stand the thing.

But alas that is my opinion. That is all... and you're welcome to your own.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 22 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 22 December 2010 - 07:55 AM, said:

anyways, I think it was moopet that said it yesterday. And I say it rather frequenlty myself. My phone has buttons and lets me call people.

my condolences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 22 December 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

View Postbflosabre91, on 22 December 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

It won't if you keep posting stupid comments like this without any reason behind your opinion. "It sux0rz" is hardly a valid concern for the OP to go on.

how many times do people really need to go over the android vs apple crap? lord pretty much listed most reasons people hate apple, and i figured it would be pretty obvious by now on why people dislike apple. if you are still unaware, then you have been living under a rock, but read lords post and thank him later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

equal too or greater than the number of times you have the need to state that apple sucks, i suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

what can i say, i'm a passionate guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'm a big user of the iOS products. I've had an iPhone since first gen. Now I have a 3gs, my wife has a 3gs and the kids have received the-hand-me-downs. I've had an iPad for a year. I just bought my wife her own iPad for Christmas. Combined with an external bluetooth keyboard the iPad is damned near a laptop. More than a netbook, less than a laptop. But an amazing device all the same.

There are those that will say... The iOS devices don't do flash, or you can't share your 3g connect as a wifi hotspot. Mine does both. I share my iPhone 3g connect with both of our iPads. Sure you have to jailbreak it. So what? That takes like 3 minutes. No device does everything right out of the box. You will find you have to 'tweek' anything to make it do what you want. A little Android phone is in no way going to compete with my iPad as a portable VNC terminal. Its about what your needs are. I must say I love my iPad as 10" touchscreen GPS when driving.

I think you should consider it from the standpoint of product acceptance. You see iPod integration in cars like the BMW. You see iPhone and iPod enabled radios at WalMart and every electronic store. They are the industry standard. FM transmitters for your iPhone. You don't see that kind of integration for any other brand of devices. You don't see Kindle or Nook or Android capable clock-radios at Kmart. It's not that *you* need an Android enabled clock radio. Its just a measure of product acceptance. Every other maker out there strives to have the iPhone killer. They all dream to have that level of desire/acceptance/customer base. Well if *they* wish they were the iPhone then why would you buy a wanna-be when you can buy the real thing?

As someone developing, don't you want to spend your energy on the largest, most accepted customer base?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

i personally never deny apple products aren't quality stuff. but for the same reason i wouldnt buy a car from a car salesman who was an arrogant jerk, i wouldnt buy an apple product because of the way steve jobs portrays himself and apple as being holier than thou. theres not an apple product that you can find a comparable alternative to, so thats just what i choose to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

@tlhIn'toq

an android isn't going to compete with an iPad because they aren't in the same market to compete. One is a tablet, the other is a phone.

jailbreaking isn't the same as tweaking. I may have to install some software when I first purchase a computer to get functionality it didn't necessarily come with, I may have to install some software when I first get an iPhone. But jailbreaking voids warranty, unlike installing software. When people say it doesn't have this, they're saying it doesn't do it under the terms of what the device is supposed to do as defined by the manufacturer.

And in the case of features only available for jailbreaking... from a developer point of view that's useless. Because the majority of users you're targeting aren't going to have said features because they aren't the type to jailbreak their phone.

As for your claims about iPhone being the standard. Yes they are a very well accepted device. But that doesn't mean other devices don't have a lot of support as well. Just because there is a speaker input, FM modulator, etc etc designed specifically to attach to the iProduct proprietary interface doesn't mean all that much really when you consider that's the only way you can connect to it.

Other products tend to utilize standard interfaces, and you can use any generic device with it. USB, 3.5mm mini jack, bluetooth (which iPhone and iPad does support, but supports to limit access... example only having bluetooth on the iPad, but no usb), etc. Just because this speaker set isn't designed specifically for the Samonyibabot device, doesn't mean the Samonyibabot device doesn't have peripherals that work with it. I'd rather a device that I can purchase peripherals for, and that later on I can transfer that peripheral to another device.

Proprietary interfaces (like that of the entire iProduct line-up) tie your peripheral to that device. It's the equivalent of proprietary plug inputs of a phone. I prefer to purchase phones with mini-usb charger ports, or the regular round peg port... because then my charger cable works for all sorts of devices. Oh no my PS3 controller's charge cable broke, a new one costs this much... oh wait, no it doesn't I have my camera cable right here which happens to be a mini-usb cable as well!

Those are standards... iPod is not standard. USB is a market standard, bluetooth is a market standard, IEEE 802.11 wifi is a market standard, etc.

iProduct interface (like that connector on your iPhone and iPod) is a Apple standard. Locks you to Apple. And allows apple to impose the 'impression' that they are a market standard. Because if you want to create a device that works with the iProduct, you must buy into their closed proprietary standard. Which creates an entire fleet of 'iProduct Peripherals' that allows for the image of being globally accepted... when really... they aren't.

Example, the Apple mini-dvi port. It has become standard on a whole fleet of their hardware products. But what is it? An Apple deformation of the DVI standard. Forcing you to use the Apple mini-DVI to DVI converter... which doesn't do anything but move the wires around to bring it back to the DVI standard. What do they charge for this piece of plastic and wires?

http://store.apple.c...roduct/M9321G/B

20 bucks... yes, because that's not a 50 times markup on the what, 40 cent product? That exists why? Because apple decided they wanted to use a NON-stanadard and opt for their own retarded standard that only serves the purpose of forcing you to purchase their converter cable. NO apple device actually accepts this input directly... their monitors are all DVI standard, so why have this fucking connector? Oh... cause it's prettier.

NOTE: Apple is not the only asshole who uses these business practices. I actually highlight it with my comment about phone chargers (I hate these asshole phone companies who create a proprietary plug for a damn phone that serves no purpose but to force you to buy THERE plug... nothing else, it's not like its electricity is all that special. It's just a 5v power connector... ARGH).

I don't condone it from any company. And I avoid purchasing the products of companies that do these dumb things. Screw them, boycott their shit, and when they release a product made right... then I'll buy it. So that way they know what they SHOULD be making.

It's just that Apple is obvious about it. And yet no one questions it. They wave it in our faces how they sell us less for more, and yet everyone just eats it up.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 22 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +