1 Replies - 1185 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2010 - 09:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Distributing a Python program

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

So I am making a program now with using Python3.1 and PyQT4. I am looking for a way to distribute this program to people that won't have python installed or know what python is. It would be nice to make an exe file, but from what I have read the popular way to do this is use py2exe, but to my knowledge it does not work with 3.1 yet. I have seen others such as cx_Freeze and PyInstaller that will do the same thing. cx_Freeze has a version for download for python3.1 and PyInsaller from what I can tell doesn't support python3.1 yet either. I am still very new to python so this is my first time trying to distribute a program written in python. So my question is, for those of you who have experience with this what would you recommend? If cx_Freeze works with PyQT4 that seems like it would be the easiest way to do this, or would it be possible to create an installer file that will install python3.1 and PyQT4 and all the proper files to run the program?

This post has been edited by duffman18: 23 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Distributing a Python program

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Distributing a Python program

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

One solution is to bundle your program with portable Python. With portable Python on your side, you can create a script using Python to install anything else you want just by having the script run the install files.

This post has been edited by atraub: 23 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1