3 Replies - 460 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

AltKill 2.0 - Rate my UI

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Okay, So I've started a new project, and I've been working on it into the late hours of the night (researching mostly) for the last day or two. It's called AltKill 2.0 (you'll see 1.0 if you look back in this section). I'm nearing the stage where the UI is finished. I'll update this topic in a few days with the program (and maybe source too (if it's not too ugly)).

The basic function of the program is a windows task manager, and security tool. It has the following features:

-View all processes & applications running on the computer (exact equivalent of Applications & Processes tab in task manager)

-Process Gaurd: Lets you blacklist certain processes from running on your computer

-Path Gaurd: Lets you blacklist certain paths on your computer which .exe files are not allowed to run from. This feature is usefull for virus removal, etc as most viruses will download new programs to Appdata\Local\Temp and then execute them. AltKill 2.0 will notify when a process attempts to start from such a location and ask for your approval. Path guard can store any number of paths to monitor.

-Kill selected window by hotkey: When you press a certain hotkey (ALT + User defined key), the program will terminate the process associated with the current window - usefull for dealing with viruses, processes which won't close, and processes which are not responding

-EXE Lock: This feature disables all executable files on the local machine - as in you/any other program will not be able to launch any executable files while the EXE Lock is enabled. This stops viruses from downloading & starting new versions of themselves when you try to remove them with an antivirus product. You must have all programs which you need open while EXE Lock is enabled, because you will not be able to launch new ones while it is enabled.

Here is a screenshot of one of the first Beta versions:
Posted Image

What do you guys think of the UI & Functionality?
Opinions please. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Jack Eagles1: 24 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: AltKill 2.0 - Rate my UI

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AltKill 2.0 - Rate my UI

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostJack Eagles1, on 24 December 2010 - 05:51 PM, said:

Okay, So I've started a new project, and I've been working on it into the late hours of the night (researching mostly) for the last day or two. It's called AltKill 2.0 (you'll see 1.0 if you look back in this section). I'm nearing the stage where the UI is finished. I'll update this topic in a few days with the program (and maybe source too (if it's not too ugly)).

The basic function of the program is a windows task manager, and security tool. It has the following features:

-View all processes & applications running on the computer (exact equivalent of Applications & Processes tab in task manager)

-Process Gaurd: Lets you blacklist certain processes from running on your computer

-Path Gaurd: Lets you blacklist certain paths on your computer which .exe files are not allowed to run from. This feature is usefull for virus removal, etc as most viruses will download new programs to Appdata\Local\Temp and then execute them. AltKill 2.0 will notify when a process attempts to start from such a location and ask for your approval. Path guard can store any number of paths to monitor.

-Kill selected window by hotkey: When you press a certain hotkey (ALT + User defined key), the program will terminate the process associated with the current window - usefull for dealing with viruses, processes which won't close, and processes which are not responding

-EXE Lock: This feature disables all executable files on the local machine - as in you/any other program will not be able to launch any executable files while the EXE Lock is enabled. This stops viruses from downloading & starting new versions of themselves when you try to remove them with an antivirus product. You must have all programs which you need open while EXE Lock is enabled, because you will not be able to launch new ones while it is enabled.

Here is a screenshot of one of the first Beta versions:
Posted Image

What do you guys think of the UI & Functionality?
Opinions please. Thanks!

Will this run in the taskbar too and have some sort of notification when a blacklisted process attempts to run? That'll be nice (of course, with the option to disable it too).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

Wow, what every windows guru needs! This is only the second time I've ever regretted removing windows in favor of Debian GNU/Linux (the first time was not being able to play some games >.< ) This would have been a really good utility for me a few months ago :P

Nice interface too... Though, I wouldn't use 'Image Name', I would think 'Process Name' would be a little more intuitive for the end-user, and also possibly put the executable filename in there too (unless I'm missing it somehow)

Anyway, great project! I really think this would be useful to many, many windows users.

I do have a few questions though:
  • What language did you use? C++? One of the .NET languages? (god forbid) Assembler?
  • Do you plan to port it to linux? That would be a great achievement!
  • Do you plan to make this a open- or closed-source project? (guessing open, as you said you may post the source)

P.S.: Almost forgot, UI rating: 8/10, project rating 10/10 :)
Keep up the good work!

This post has been edited by LinuxFan: 26 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

I Used VB.NET.
I will certainly release the source for this when the project is finished (it may be a few weeks, as I'm working on an emergency project for a friend ATM).
I only use Ubuntu on one of my laptops. I may try to make it fully compatible with Wine at some point in the not too distant future. Although, with Ubuntu, you don't really have any security risks where you need to monitor the process startup location etc...

@AmryKid, it will have a desktop notification, perhaps like Kaspersky's one.

Thanks for the comments.

This post has been edited by Jack Eagles1: 27 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1