4 Replies - 744 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are other languages good at?

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

Over the last 3 months I was taking a visual basic .NET class and learned that Vb.net is really good with database criteria. Now I am wanting to learn something different I want to hear other opinions on what are the best aspects of different languages for instance Perl and python. What makes all the languages good for a certain job? I am not sure if I am making my question very clear. Let me know If I need to explain more thank you.

This post has been edited by ayabrego: 26 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are other languages good at?

#2 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are other languages good at?

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

VB.NET is no better or worse at DB work than many other languages. Where VB.NET really shines is in being easy to pick up for new programmers. Both it and C# target the .NET Framework, which excels in making programs for Windows (and windows web servers). ADO.NET (one of the DB frameworks you can use with VB.NET) is what helps with DBs, but there's also LINQ to SQL and Entity Framework as well.

Java is great with DBs as well, with the proper tools, and it is good for making cross-platform applications. It's also a good language to learn Object Oriented programming with, though C# and VB.NET are good for this as well.

Python is good for being quick to write programs for. It's simple to understand and it's great for rapid development. Also, its great for scripting, and it has a command line interpreter.

Perl is more often used on *nix systems, and beyond that I don't know too much about it. It can be used for scripting and web applications as well as applications.

There are plenty of other languages to try out too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

vb.net (>2008) + xml + LINQ = simple
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

Clojure and Erlang are both excellent languages for hardcore concurrency-related applications, along with being excellent general-purpose languages.

Clojure coupled with Incanter make Clojure great for statistical computing.

<insert stuff here>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

I think it depends a lot on what developers have bent them towards being useful for. Many languages only have the strengths that they have because somebody has built a library with the desired functionality to make certain tasks easier. At least that's my understanding. For example, C++ in it's bare form is an asshole for making graphical user interfaces, but you can google and download libraries and tools that will make it a lot easier for you. Certain languages are accepted to be better for particular applications because of the libraries that exist for those purposes, but you could take just about any language you liked and develop the extra tools to add the functionality you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1