145 Replies - 23188 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

#106 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why are there people doing "final year projects" that don'

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

POPULAR

Thank you so much for watering down the industry. I hope you're stuck working beside one of the morons who's work you did for them one day. You'll realize that you did nobody a favor.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

Woah. So i'm not allowed to help friend to pass from school?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#108 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

POPULAR

Cliff notes:
- puppies and kittens

The problem is those two months he was supposed to be learning, right? I mean that's why the school require the internship. Not a hangout and play Halo, but to figure out how a business works, where he would fit in, and to get over that 'n00b' hump so when he does get his real job he can hit the ground running.

Additionally now he has a project accredited to him that he didn't write. He didn't have to go through the process of learning design, working under a schedule, and all that time line jazz that occurs in the work force. Now future employers will look at this project (or read a description) and assume he is capable of those skills. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. That creates a disconnect in how the manager should proceed in placing your buddy. If they put your buddy in a more independent spot and he can't perform how will that look to him versus them putting him in a spot with more guidance expecting him to stumble here or there?

That being said the story also pays credence to what Curtis said. This guy was willing, with your help, to not take the opportunity to learn. He opted for the easy route to have it all handed to him. It very well might be indicative of his personal style of learning. "Why do the work myself, when I can take the easy route and not do it or pawn it off on the internetz?".

Instead of having capable people doing their jobs at the right level we have a person who takes credit for another person's work thus misrepresenting himself. The places he applies at might smell this out, they might not. If they do then that damages everyone as a whole. IT folk in general then will constantly have that little bit of scrutiny that says "was he lying about this work? Did he do this? Is he lying about his skill set?"

If they don't smell it out and he fails to perform then that goes into the bucket of "stupid IT people - what the hell did they learning in school?". That also means a person actually capable and qualified for a job will be pitted against a person with false image. If the honest person loses we all lose.

That's my two cents on the issue. If you need clarification ask.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#109 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Sure, you're allowed to, but that doesn't mean we're not going to call you out on it. I've worked with incompetents before. It sucks, you end up having to do their work for them, when you barely have enough time to do your own. So yeah, most of us don't like the idea that you helped people by doing their work for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostTMKCodes, on 30 April 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

Helping them is assisting them in understanding the problem.
You helped them cheat, meaning people like me have to compete with people like your friend who doesn't deserve to have the "experience" they have on their CV.
:gun_bandana:

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 30 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 December 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

This quote warms the cockles of my heart. Maybe the sub cockle area.

maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys, maybe even in the colon. We don't know…

... everything i have to say has already been stated in the first 3 pages lol. mostly by kilorn and macosxnerd
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 December 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

I would also like to point out that a lot of the 'final year project' people look like they trend towards the "South Asian" areas. I am not going to point fingers and say there are huge swaths of people in those areas in school that cheat, but I personally found it three or four times more often than naught. The constant 'give me teh codez' and such. The internet is awash with half assed code snippets and broken issues.

People turn up here with some code in hand only to have me find it was broken from the last known post on the internet five years ago. Zero effort. That or the work is passed on to family members who are more established. I watched foreign students actually scanning in their homework and comment that they home their older siblings (or parents) get it done early enough to have them review it.

Additionally I think it comes down to a lack of common sense and personal responsibility. Instead of putting forth the effort the internet provides. I wonder if I should blame the parents for blowing so much smoke up Sally and Timmy's rear about how self entitled the should be.

In case this was missed in the Industry News forum: Why Pradeep Need You To Give Him The Codes, which bears out much of what was stated at the start of the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostTMKCodes, on 29 April 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

Bah, I know this personally too. I help those poor people who think software development is easy too easily. I've done several peoples exams for them and helped to pass sometimes even better grades than myself. One time my old class mate called me after I had graduated from career school as IT worker and he had not and is actually still there. He needed to get 2 month internship done so we made a plan and he came to work for me, but actually he didn't do anything, but I wrote a project and said that he had written it in the two months he worked for me to the school.

Why would you actively perpetuate this problem?! :basecase:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

ON TOPIC:
I gotta design a payroll system in C# (well that's the language I chose). My time frame is now just about 10 weeks. I'm planning on using a Microsoft Access file (*.accdb) as the database for now. Linq works on my PC but not on another and at school there isn't enough rights to install the necessary platforms or files needed. So now I'm left with using an OleDB connection with a Microsoft Access Driver.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

because they can't get university degree with out doing that,,...,,..
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

And if they don't do their own projects or know how to code in the appropriate language, why should they graduate? What makes you, or them, think they've earned it?

View Postcodeprada, on 06 May 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

ON TOPIC:
I gotta design a payroll system in C# (well that's the language I chose). My time frame is now just about 10 weeks. I'm planning on using a Microsoft Access file (*.accdb) as the database for now. Linq works on my PC but not on another and at school there isn't enough rights to install the necessary platforms or files needed. So now I'm left with using an OleDB connection with a Microsoft Access Driver.

Oh really? How is that on topic, and the rest of the thread wasn't? I think you meant to post in another thread, or you've misinterperated what the topic was about.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 06 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

View PostTMKCodes, on 29 April 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Bah, I know this personally too. I help those poor people who think software development is easy too easily. I've done several peoples exams for them and helped to pass sometimes even better grades than myself. One time my old class mate called me after I had graduated from career school as IT worker and he had not and is actually still there. He needed to get 2 month internship done so we made a plan and he came to work for me, but actually he didn't do anything, but I wrote a project and said that he had written it in the two months he worked for me to the school.

I hope you don't end up working with one of those people you 'helped' or worse, way way way worse. I hope i don't end up working with one of those people.

This post has been edited by Brandon_R: 07 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostBrandon_R, on 07 May 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

I hope you don't end up working with one of those people you 'helped' or worse, way way way worse. I hope i don't end up working with one of those people.

Solution: Start your own software firm. You don't have to worry about working for anyone and you get to decide how to select those who work for you.

That's my plan!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostBrewer, on 07 May 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostBrandon_R, on 07 May 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

Solution: Start your own software firm. You don't have to worry about working for anyone and you get to decide how to select those who work for you.

That's my plan!

I hope my goals are a little higher than a software firm :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

World domination? Amirite?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -