• « First

145 Replies - 21147 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why are there people doing "final year projects" that don'

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 28 December 2010 - 05:23 AM, said:

I don't have time to read everyone's replies so sorry if it has been said already.

While I completely agree that far too many people are saying they have no idea how to do their final project, don't know the languages etc... I cannot quite understand how you can be that close to completing a degree and not be able to write readable English. Almost all of them are impossible to understand, so perhaps I see a pattern:

Does not know language && Does not understand the concept && Cannot write English == From a country in which English is not a common language.

Therefore, I believe it is appropriate to mention that it may be that some countries do not have a well planned course for computer science nor lecturers that fully understand their subject.

Thats not true well not exactly. I dont know English (shocker i know) :D But i never learn that language i study German. However ppl are lazy, they hire someone to write them their projects over the years in Uni., cheat at the exams and finally pay if they have to to get to that final year project. And when that time comes they got google :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Recently I've tried to help some people in the C/C++ forum, who are quite frankly beyond helping. They post poorly explained questions, typically in the wrong section and without code tags. For very simple problems, which are clearly homework assignments. They appear to just expect someone to do their homework for them! :helpsmilie:

I usually point out errors in their code, give subtle suggestions on how they can fix their problem and point them to resources that I think can help them, namely cplusplus.com and specific sections of MSDN. But seldom do they acknowledge my efforts to help them. I've even had two people argue with me that their - clearly incorrect code - is correct or equivalent to suggestions or code that I have provided them with. It's driving me crazy! :hammer: :basecase:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:13 AM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 12 May 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

I've even had two people argue with me that their - clearly incorrect code - is correct or equivalent to suggestions or code that I have provided them with. It's driving me crazy! :hammer: :basecase:

Charles Darwin said:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

View PostAphex19, on 14 May 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

Charles Darwin said:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

I agree, but looking back on the specific threads I think there may have been a language barrier Volume of a Sphere & For Loop... I mean it beggars belief. :basecase:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#140 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

Welcome to the forumgoer's life. You'll see that everywhere. Look up "help vampire."

At least this site is very much against the practice of doing homework for people. There are other sites that have less shame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

Slightly old topic, but a great discussion to continue.

Lucky for me in my degree field there's a teacher that I respect to no end that has taken a liking to weed out people with no real knowledge and drive. He's the networking professor over at my College (MSSU) and his classes are extremely difficult. The one thing you notice after this class is that half of the degree seekers are gone. Anyone without solid resolve is dropped.

It was by far the hardest class I have taken so far, and quite frankly I loved it. I'm far better for the experience because I was forced to go beyond jacking around and had to pay full attention. I gained more knowledge in that class than any of the nice teachers that just gave little to no homework and simple tests.

I believe that teachers like this are the staple of a good program. He's had enough influence on my learning that I've taken to learning to be a system administrator.

The real issue are some students, non-traditionals being absolutely notorious for this, that think this degree is a certificate to easy money and retirement. (Mind you I know several nontrads that don't follow this trend)

Even worse than the people that have no clue are the people that learned the completely wrong way and refuse to acknowledge that. I've had to deal with enough people in the Web area that still use tables and archaic design styles and expect me to review it as the best thing in the world.

I'm sure this applies to any other field as well with programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm starting my second year at University in October - Can't believe there are students attempting their year three final projects when they don't know what an object is!

But perhaps I should of believed it. A couple of times during my first year I've had students expecting me to help them by basically doing their work. I'd spent a week or two on an Informatics assignment (ugh) and one student, a foreign guy, wanted me to send him my entire 1500 word document 2 hours before the deadline (we'd had something like 4 - 6 weeks to complete it) Apparently he "Wouldn't copy anything"

I declined.

We also had "labs" or practical sessions of 2 - 3 hours for Programming and Databases. I'd spend most of this time helping people in the class most of whom had obviously spent zero time in or out of Uni actually trying to learn this stuff. Most of my own work was done at home - I swear I must of helped a fair few avoid getting a referral.

From my experience the ones who want everything done for them are the young guys 18 - 20 ish who feck around all day on youtube and failblog and do as little studying as possible or some of the foreign students - Some I have no idea how they even got in to University they hadn't even done basic HTML or basic English!.

As I started Uni later than some at 26 and had been out of full time education for 10 years, before year 1 I taught myself HTML/CSS and spent 2 - 3 months learning the very basics of C# / Java.

I worked hard through my first year and since June I have been increasing my knowledge of C# studying something like 5 - 7 hours a day - I plan to do this until I go back in October but will continue using and learning C# right through my degree so when I start my final project I actually have an idea of what I'm doing!

One thing is for sure, next year I'm getting a laptop and after the tutor has given us our tasks I'll be getting the feck out of the labs!

This post has been edited by insanepenguin: 15 August 2011 - 07:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 27 December 2010 - 02:08 PM, said:

I guess I could understand if they're students learning a totally new language, but why, for the love of god, would you choose a language you know nothing about to write your final project in? If it's just professors being dicks, then I apologize, but somehow I doubt it.

Sorry to revive the topic once again but wanted to post opinion on it. I will be doing my final year project this coming year and i will be doing it in C/C++ that i have never touched before. Why these languages? Because the project itself is about parallel computing using CUDA interface which is basically a set of functions for C/C++. There are wrappers for it in Python Java C# etc but i was advised by ma professor to use C/C++ and that is why since last week i have been teaching myself C++. I believe its quite a risk to do your final year project in a new langauge since estmating work done per week/month is harder to get right but not impossible.

Wish me luck! lol.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 05 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Some people want to make games, and instead of learning all of the functions they jump straight into making a game without any knowledge of that language because they think it will be a cake walk and end up starting a business/doing an exam thinking they know it all. But they can only Copy and Paste.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

As a guy from India who has survived this sort of shit, I can tell you that it is one horrible mess.
First of is the transition from the basic classes to the more advanced ones- The lab work for my first year C programming course went like this:
Write a program to do X
where X is usually a mathematical or logical operation such as finding the largest of 3 numbers using the conditional operator.
We had around 20 such programs to write for our practical and the exzamination consists of writing 2 of these programs on paper, getting it verified by the examiner and then coding and executing one of these (both if you are in a masters course) and then awnsering a viva. Now this stuff is fairly standard for an introduction to programming BUT these guys dont actually learn how to do the programs. They just byheart the damn things down to where the semicolons go. So after a year of coasting through the lab work by learing the syntax by rote, asking them to do a mini application (basically write a front end GUI and connecting it to a database) is going to stump them. Another problem is that the transition from writing console based programs to a full gui is a very jarring one here. Let me give you an example-
I am doing a masters degree in Computer Applications (it's called MCA here). Now for this course, you do not really need a CS background to get admitted as long as you took math in high school (We have a guy who has a degree in Chemistry, Botany and Zoology for crying out loud). In our first year, we learned C programming, Data structures in C and Java basics. Now like I said a lot of these guys dont really know how to program since they just learned them word for word. Now in our current semester we have a to do a mini application that connects a front end to a database. The requirments for the project are vague to say the least. It says we have to apply a bunch of database features such as creating tables, inserting ans selecting values, backup and recovery and locking mechanisms. there is no mention of whether all of this must be done on the front end or the backend or whether it should be a monolithic application or deployed as a client-server application over a network. There are no restrictions on the tools or languages we can use but these guys have only learned how to hand code and display ONE AWT or Swing Login page. They now have to design 15 to 20 GUI forms then linking them together and on top of that get JDBC to connect to an Oracle 10g server instance without the appropriate drivers because they got a bootlegged copy of Oracle 10g XE and the commercial edition of Eclipse from the lab's sysadmin who is perfectly competent at blocking you from downloading the legit opensource stuff that will actually work. You see the problem? Add farmboys who can barely speak English and professors who have barely any hands on experience to the mix and you hav a class of about 60 students, some who barely know how a computer works, 1 or 2 guys like me who have at least some idea fo how things work and others with half baked knowledge trying to get a degree.
The upshot of all this is that a lot of these guys go out and get projects already done by seniors or examples by one of those "coaching classes" , turn those in and fill the documentation and stuff with enough technical sounding bullshit to pass muster in the exam.
Now I am not saying that everyone does this and there are colleges that have labs and instructors who know what they are doing and make sure that the students actually learn how to program instead of regurgitating the entirety of the Let us C textbook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

View Postinsanepenguin, on 15 August 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

We also had "labs" or practical sessions of 2 - 3 hours for Programming and Databases. I'd spend most of this time helping people in the class most of whom had obviously spent zero time in or out of Uni actually trying to learn this stuff. Most of my own work was done at home - I swear I must of helped a fair few avoid getting a referral.

I feel your pain dude. I spent most of my labs correcting stuff that looked like this:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>
void main()
{
clrscr();
inf i,j,a[10]
printf("enter elements");
scanf(a);
printf("sorted elements)
printf(a);
getch();
}

I mean come on! Even the horrible Turbo C compiler can check for errors and tell you whats wrong right?

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 02 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First