• « First
  • Last »

145 Replies - 23682 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why are there people doing "final year projects" that don'

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

I can understand the passion to teach, but if you know your job is going to be affected by a medical issue, then you just can't do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

It's kind of like a one-armed firefighter. You can't legally prevent him from having the job due to his disability, but there's no way he can perform the job as well as a two-armed man.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

POPULAR

exactly

I wanted to be a teacher, entered school for it. I was very passionate about, and still today wish I was a teacher. But I realized my medical problem...

it's called 'smackadafoo', its symptoms include the propensity to beat idiots and/or verbally abuse them until they cry

so I decided to not be a teacher
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 28 December 2010 - 08:30 AM, said:

I find this trend of seeing programmers as some sort of higher intellectual beings kind of troublesome. Just like the accountant works for his paycheck so are there programmers who only do it for the money.

We aren't some sort of secret society where everyone has to love what they do.

Keep this in mind guys, not everyone goes home and writes code after 8 hours of doing that at work. :P

Sergio, I agree, but only to an extent.

I think you have to like solving puzzles to be a good programmer. Now, you don't have to go home and program when you get done programming for work, but you should at least like the most fundamental part of your job that you do. And I think, regardless of industry, you shouldn't work in a career just because it seemed like a good career. You should take an active interest in what you're going to be doing for 40+ years.

But in programming more than many other professions, I think there's more of a requirement to actually like what you are doing. You may not like your current job, or the crap program you have to work on today, but the concept of programming should be at least enjoyable to you. Otherwise, you're never going to be good at what you're doing. I think this is true in any creative profession. A graphic designer who's just in it for the paycheck and doesn't give a shit about art probably isn't a good or happy graphic designer. Same for a programmer. A bored accountant can screw up, but it's not really the same thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 28 December 2010 - 10:22 AM, said:

exactly

I wanted to be a teacher, entered school for it. I was very passionate about, and still today wish I was a teacher. But I realized my medical problem...

it's called 'smackadafoo', its symptoms include the propensity to beat idiots and/or verbally abuse them until they cry

so I decided to not be a teacher

This, and the fact that math teachers don't make much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

This is not limited to the Computer Science fields in the least, by the way.

I am on board with pretty much everything and others have said here.

Another thread with old code being passed off as his own, with no qualms about it.

This post has been edited by JackOfAllTrades: 28 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#67 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

This quote warms the cockles of my heart. Maybe the sub cockle area.

View Postcutekiller0, on 27 December 2010 - 08:51 AM, said:

View Postnewclearner, on 27 December 2010 - 06:47 AM, said:

And why do you think that one should not see the fact you copy pasted it.

its because you all are expert to answer the questions and you all just have to solve it no matter from where the question comes

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

LOL We have to!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

View PostinsertAlias, on 28 December 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostSergio Tapia, on 28 December 2010 - 08:30 AM, said:

I find this trend of seeing programmers as some sort of higher intellectual beings kind of troublesome. Just like the accountant works for his paycheck so are there programmers who only do it for the money.

We aren't some sort of secret society where everyone has to love what they do.

Keep this in mind guys, not everyone goes home and writes code after 8 hours of doing that at work. :P

Sergio, I agree, but only to an extent.

I think you have to like solving puzzles to be a good programmer. Now, you don't have to go home and program when you get done programming for work, but you should at least like the most fundamental part of your job that you do. And I think, regardless of industry, you shouldn't work in a career just because it seemed like a good career. You should take an active interest in what you're going to be doing for 40+ years.

But in programming more than many other professions, I think there's more of a requirement to actually like what you are doing. You may not like your current job, or the crap program you have to work on today, but the concept of programming should be at least enjoyable to you. Otherwise, you're never going to be good at what you're doing. I think this is true in any creative profession. A graphic designer who's just in it for the paycheck and doesn't give a shit about art probably isn't a good or happy graphic designer. Same for a programmer. A bored accountant can screw up, but it's not really the same thing.

You're still thinking of programmers as highly intelligent individuals as a whole. Believe it or not, there are programming tasks that a drone could do but are hired to do it.

• Change UI colors.
  • Add resource keys.
  • Refactor methods.

All of these menial tasks are easy to accomplish with your brain shut off, but some people still do it. My point is, not every one in the industry has to be a Jon Skeet to be good at his job. For many many people, good is good enough. :lol:

We aren't special.

Now you, me, pretty much everyone who hangs around the DIC boards are above the vast majority out there because we actually like to learn about this skill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

There's a definition for that, it's called being a "student of your profession".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Not really. I'm just here for the ambiance. Now do my homework, trick!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#72 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

By "ambiance" you mean you are here for the chicks too? Sweet! High five!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

POPULAR

View PostinsertAlias, on 27 December 2010 - 04:03 PM, said:

The truth is, there's a big part of me that hates a large segment of the people I help...

The "gimme the codez" are bad enough, but the ones that are sneaky about it, more subtle, they're worse. They've found some code, enough to do most of what they want, and they pass it off as their own code, expecting you to help them fill in the gaps.

But of course, they neither wrote or understand it, so your explanations make no sense, and they ask you to make it all work for them. Then you understand...this person is trying to get me to do their work for them.

The worst of it all, is sometimes I feel I'm facilitating the outsourcing of my own job. I've worked on applications that have been outsourced. Sometimes they come out great. Sometimes they're the biggest steaming piles of crap that were patched together with duct tape and bubble gum (or bailing wire, if you're a farmer like me). They were hard coded to pass tests rather than elegantly coded to handle situations. That kind of stuff. And I feel like every time I help someone that obviously doesn't know how to program, and is asking an advanced question...I feel like I'm basically saying "here, take my job."

Sweet baby Jebus THIS. I've been quietly nurturing that same attitude here for awhile now. It's gotten to the point that I've pretty much decided to not immediately reply to obvious "codez" questions when posted by someone who just created an account that day. Goes double if their username is "guest" something. It's not that I won't help...but I figure that if the help isn't immediate they may have to figure it out themselves. I've posted helpful info on threads like that and you never hear a peep back from the new user ever.

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 28 December 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

Another thread with old code being passed off as his own, with no qualms about it.

It's for threads like that that I wish I could be the inventor of the "beat-a-bitch" button. That thread immediately invoked Alice's Fist of Death in me. I have no idea how some of you hold your composure so well. They did that in the forum I'm helping out, you'da seen the mushroom cloud from my response from beyond the orbit of frickin' Pluto.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

View PostCraig328, on 29 December 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 28 December 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

It's for threads like that that I wish I could be the inventor of the "beat-a-bitch" button. That thread immediately invoked Alice's Fist of Death in me. I have no idea how some of you hold your composure so well. They did that in the forum I'm helping out, you'da seen the mushroom cloud from my response from beyond the orbit of frickin' Pluto.

Ha! And then another had the balls to come in with "hey, how did you solve it?"

Good god.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

Moopet so saved those bitches from the worst verbal beatdown by an ugly American they'd likely see for the rest of the year.

Just because God himself hates me so: I'd be entirely unsurprised to discover they're both toiling on offshored work that they're charging like $5/hr for and which will likely not frickin' work or have ridiculously gaping holes in it that the contract will need to hire a "home" contractor to fix but given that those assclowns made such a stupid mess of it all he'll likely have to simply rewrite from scratch...and the idiot contract will pat himself on the back for saving all that money from offshoring it.

My last 4 short contracts have been for just such work. "Please fix the shiathole mess that our offshored dipshits wrote for us". I actually charge $10/hr more when it involves fixing/rewriting shit like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »