• Last »

145 Replies - 22356 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why are there people doing "final year projects" that don'

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

View Posttinase, on 04 January 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

This even gets worse in developing countries like mine.
Everybody is asking for :helpsmilie: rather than doing by themselves

Yeah, those of us in the Western world are very well aware of this. It's obviously not limited to software development :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

View Posthookiethe1, on 04 January 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

I actually have to give Tinase credit on this one, not only are his competitors handicapping themselves by not doing the work, but he's preying on their weakness to put himself in a better position. This is survival of the fittest at it's best!

I was going to say the same thing. I don't condone it, but shit... he certainly is doing his best to profit off the other fools' demise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

I actually feel rather sorry for tinase...

This post has been edited by Jack Eagles1: 04 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

View Posttinase, on 04 January 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

OK, After reading all the posts I am going to reply for this post

I don't want to write long paragraphs as you guys did but let me make things short. I have a CS degree and I graduated with distinction. So I have experience on what students did on their final year projects. Peoples shouldn't do other students' graduation projects for the good of the students. I should admit that I did 2 projects of my colleagues together with mine during my final year. I can say that there is a great difference in practical knowledge among the students who graduated with me(same batch). Anyway, after graduating, I am still doing on some project of a graduating student.I do all the projects for free. What do you think folks?? am I doing wrong??? I am doing this for my own good,i.e to be an experienced programmer, but people think that I am doing them a favor when they are doing me a favor.

By the way I am @ Addis Ababa, Ethiopia,Africa

Thanks for Reading

At least CHARGE money you dumb bastard! :lol: Like me!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

One dumba** class mate of mine once handed in his coding work and surprised when the lecturer asked him why there was comment that "this code is only a sample".

Lol it was hilarious. Worst part is that he actually got pissed.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hate to break it to you, but there are people in the workforce that don't know how to program (well).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

Seriously, if you're gonna cheat, at least read the freaking code, change the formatting and style, and comment to make it look like yours. People not only can't code, they can't cheat either! FFS! What can they do?!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

The same thing happens here in Kenya
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostCraig328, on 04 January 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

Posted Image

you don't need to post the place you are
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Kind of off topic but not... I did a lot of the IT work in my previous job, repairing & installing machines, network management, etc... The owner wanted me to focus on some other aspects of the company and to bring someone in that could handle what I was currently doing. We had a guy on the shop floor that had gotten an A+ Certification so I thought he would be a good candidate to bring up and wouldn't require training for a lot of the menial tasks. The first few days I was showing him various things that weren't really related to fixing and repairing PC's. Our system was OS/2 based and we had custom written software to handle the Barcoding of our entire operation along with Temperature controllers and PLC's. I explained that he wasn't expected to understand it all but that I wanted him to be aware of some of the problems we had and what it took to get them back up and going. On the 3rd day of this, I handed him 3 hard drives and told him that I wanted them installed in 3 machines that we were going to bring online. He stood there for a second looking kind of blank. I asked if there was a question and he said, well, I don't think I'm familiar enough with OS/2 to do that. I told him he wasn't installing OS/2 he was installing hard drives in computers. He said yea but they're OS/2 computers. I said No, they're computers that will eventually be installed with OS/2 but right now I just want the drives installed so that we can install OS/2 on them later. That is when he said, Well, I don't think I'm the right guy for this job. To which I said "Didn't you get your A+ Certification for building/repairing computers?" and he said, Yea, but I just studied for the tests and did the things in class needed to pass. Now here is the part that got me. When I sat down with the owner about this, he said "Well, why don't you work with him and get him up to speed." So yea, even though people get these Certifications, Degrees, etc... doesn't mean they will fail, they will just be nurtured along.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

you mean not only did he not know how to install hard drives, but that he didn't realize that the OS you were going to put on it in the future was irrelevant?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#102 Robin19  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

When I went to school, I had to drag people with me. It was infuriating. But the professors insisted that we learn how to work on teams, so a lot of work was in groups. The professors knew I was naturally better at coding, so I was always in a group with the bottom students. I would have a choice of turning in a project that wouldn't run, or doing all of the work myself. Every week everyone would turn in their code to me to compile. I was responsible for half the code already, despite having 5 people in the group. I'd spend half the week rewriting everyone's code so that it would actually work. They didn't even notice that the code they got back from me was rewritten. Sure, I helped them graduate, but I wanted my 4.0.

Employers in the area realize that most graduates can't actually do work. It took me 4 months to find a job, but my primary task was internal help desk. I've been here a year and have proven myself to be a full programmer. I was able to teach myself C#, WPF, and XNA in the past year. We are in the first week of live testing of my latest WPF software that will save the shipping department half their time. I've gotten two raises in the past year. I'm sure my classmates are not in the same boat.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

Robin19, that was an extremely unfair burden to place on you. That professor should be shot; it's not YOUR responsibility to bring the bottom rung of students up, it's HIS!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Bah, I know this personally too. I help those poor people who think software development is easy too easily. I've done several peoples exams for them and helped to pass sometimes even better grades than myself. One time my old class mate called me after I had graduated from career school as IT worker and he had not and is actually still there. He needed to get 2 month internship done so we made a plan and he came to work for me, but actually he didn't do anything, but I wrote a project and said that he had written it in the two months he worked for me to the school.
Was This Post Helpful? -11
  • +
  • -

#105 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

I hope he paid you well...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +