6 Replies - 1177 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is it worth it

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

So before I drop thousands of dollars, I wanted to get everyones advice on if a so called "degree" from ITT Tech is worth the money, or am I better off taking Certification classes at a community college and then testing via CompTIA and other methods? I am trying to get into the IT field and am interning on my days off with my companies IT department, but am looking for the education as well so I can do more and/or work for an actual tech company.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is it worth it

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it worth it

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

I've heard scandals about ITT Tech. For example, they padded exam results to make their graduates look better. Doing a quick search on ITT Tech scam on Google brought up these results:

http://www.google.ca...en&expIds=17259,26698&xhr=t&q=itt+tech+scam&cp=10&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=itt+tech+sc&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=bd44f49187b31b2d

I would be cautious in trusting them. On that note, if you can get classes at a local community college that will lead to your certifications then look into that. Do a little research into the college and the programs they offer. If you are looking into getting into IT support then you will most definitely want the CompTIA A+ certifications at a minimum.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

DO NOT attend ITT, I speak from experience. You will finish your degree program feeling as though you've completely wasted 80,000 dollars. If you really want to get a degree, look for a university with a great reputation for whatever your field might be.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

All that needs to be said can be said. The only people I know who went to ITT work in retail. All of my friends from university still get job offers each day.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thank for all the great advice guys. It seems everyone is in agreement about it. I was looking into taking classes at community college that end with certifications, but someone told me is I was going to spend the money it is better to get a degree, though it will cost more. Any thoughts on that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

They're chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned. Let's compare computers to cars. Getting an associates degree or a handful of tech certificates is like becoming a mechanic or technician, you can fix cars, maybe modify them a bit, maybe if you're talented become a head mechanic or something specialized that earns a little more money. Getting a compsci or engineering degree is more like being the engineer who designs new cars and engines.
Getting a bachelor's degree in computing will cost you more, take a lot longer, and be far, far more mentally stressful than the alternative, but there's a good reason people go through it, because the ceiling is much higher.

(PS there are certain people in this forum who will tell you that you don't need school at all, and while I congratulate them and respect that they were able to get into the industry with no formal qualifications, I think it's dangerous advice to give someone who is attempting to make a life-altering decision with little or no experience)

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 08 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Certs can get your foot in the door at a company and gain experience but a degree will pay off in the long run. Dont goto ITT though to get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1