2 Replies - 554 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2010 - 03:28 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Guest*

how to pick forms vs wpf

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

so i recently decided to learn wpf. now when i make a new project sometimes i consider forms. i am learning on .net 4.0 so i can use either. if i am not worried about people having old systems is there a problem going with wpf as opposed to forms? if my target users will be mainly on vista or 7 (some xp but nto many) wpf works fine on out of the box, well i need .net 4 but even then i target client profile and its a small download.

since im learnign wpf should i just do everything in wpf? or somethigns in forms too?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: how to pick forms vs wpf

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to pick forms vs wpf

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

It depends on a preference. WinForms is usually faster in responsiveness (i.e. clicks and mouseovers) but its under-supported due to WPF being the next big thing.

WPF, the new kid on the block, supports animation and can emulate flash like features using its sister technology, Silverlight. </offtopic>.

If you know WPF, use WPF, otherwise, it is good to know how to use both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to pick forms vs wpf

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Use what tools you need to get the job done. If two work use the easier one for you to work with. If both are of a similar difficulty, use the more supported tool. If both are similarly supported, use the one you simply know better. All other things being equal, go with what you like more.

For the record, WPF is the future of Forms. There's not really any active development going on for forms, but there is for WPF. So if you want to get better at something that will be useful in the future, go WPF.

On the other hand, Win Forms is the 900 lbs gorilla. It's very heavily used. Knowing it means you'll know the tech that many shops around the world are using.

So it's really up to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1