2 Replies - 875 Views - Last Post: 29 December 2010 - 07:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_kj*

New to programming and python, but am i on the right track?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

i have basic experience of PHP/mySQL, very basic.
i want to develop a website, advanced website such as facebook,tumblr(not necessarily social, just expressing the complexity i want to get to eventually. etc,
i read that python is a general purpose language, but so far i only found the the only way of making a website with python is via framework such as Django. i cannot be embedded into webpage .py.
so i have to use one of the frameworks to do so?

if anyone could advice on this, i prefer python over PHP as i can do more than just web, plus it seems much easier to learn.

my goal is to make a website which interacts like a app on a desktop/harddrive for easy interface, use AJAX, javascript etc.

thanks in advance :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: New to programming and python, but am i on the right track?

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to programming and python, but am i on the right track?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

I've been accused of being a Python fanboy in the past, so the following statement should probably come as a surprise to many people... I really don't recommend Python for this. That's not to say you CAN'T use Python, but it's really not the best choice for this kind of job in my opinion.

Have you considered the .net route? C# let's you create desktop apps and lends itself nicely to act as the 'code behind' in web apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to programming and python, but am i on the right track?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Do you need Django or a similar framework? No.

What you will need is a way to take an HTTP request and use that to fire your Python code. Common ways of doing this are via CGI, FastCGI, or Apache's mod_python. A less common approach is to extend a networking framework such as Twisted and build your own web server to handle the HTTP requests.

That said, becoming familiar with the common frameworks is very useful if you think you are headed for the web-development career. Django, Pylons, and Zope come to mind as contenders. Once you learn their intricacies, they will save you days of coding on new projects. Additionally, having one or more under your belt means you will be more attractive to employers utilizing those frameworks.

Hope this helps,
Motoma
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1