8 Replies - 45030 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

#1 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Week #51- Go

Post icon  Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

This week's challenge is Google's Go.

Go is a langugae with syntax similar to C, but allows for more concise code. It was designed to focus on modular and flexible programming. Go also supports extremely fast compiling time with garbage collection. Concurrency is another strong-suit of Go, with the select and go keywords for concurrent programming, as well as features for cross-thread communications.

Getting Started
Go Homepage

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Week #51- Go

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Week #51- Go

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 December 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Go is a langugae with syntax similar to C, but allows for more concise code. It was designed to focus on modular and flexible programming. Go also supports extremely fast compiling time with garbage collection. Concurrency is another strong-suit of Go, with the select and go keywords for concurrent programming, as well as features for cross-thread communications.

Getting Started
Go Homepage

What exactly is the challenge? just learn the language?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Exactly. Spend some time picking up the language and submit something you wrote in it. It's not so much a competition, but an initiative to expose people to new languages and technologies. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 December 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Getting Started
Go Homepage

I've wanted to play with go... but isn't it a pain to get working at all on Windows? AFAIK, it doesn't build with all features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 31 December 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

Exactly. Spend some time picking up the language and submit something you wrote in it. It's not so much a competition, but an initiative to expose people to new languages and technologies. :)

is it an OOP language? and what is it primarily used to make? web apps or executable programs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

It's a systems programming language, but so is C. That should be enough to tell you that, if Go gets more popular, it'll be used for pretty much everything. Almost no languages outside of PHP and various other explicitly web-related languages are actually limited to any single domain. The majority of languages are useful for a wide variety of tasks, and aren't 'primarily' used to make any one thing.

Go is not an object oriented language in the traditional sense, although it does offer some similar facilities. Refer to the FAQ: http://golang.org/do...iented_language
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Does go have any benefits or advantage from other programming languages aside from being an open source project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Go is:

Like C, but it compiles 10X faster, has automatic garbage collection, and concurrent processing is smooth as silk.

Like C++, it has OOP's most valuable parts, but none of C++'s fal-der-awl nonsense. Go's syntax has a very structured, format - it's minimal, but Go makes less, into more. ;)

Go is being created by several people, but two I know of are geniuses imo: Rob Pike and Ken Thompson.

Thompson is one of the creators of the B programming language, and the programmer of a World Champion chess player machine.

Pike is the creator of Limbo, a language similar to Go, for the Inferno operating system.

They're still working out some issues, but I'm very excited about Go. It already is running at 75% of the speed of C.

This is the next language I want to work with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

It would be interest to learn such fancy programming language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1