I'm considering building a server for my house to fill the following roles:
- Web server that I can use to host my blog.
- Store my projects in a central repository and utilize svn.
- Act as a mythtv backend.
- Stream media?
- Email server? (Why not, right?)
My blog doesn't get much traffic. It's been a year and I still haven't even made my first $100 from adds, so it won't need to be incredibly strong for that. I really just want to host it myself so that I can switch to wordpress, incorporate syntax highlighting, and run a few adds to help with cost. Acting as a repository won't take too much power either.
I also want to have it act as mythTV backend. I live alone, so it would only ever need to work with 1 front end at any given time.
Lastly, I figure if it's a web server AND it has my recorded shows on it so it would be pretty cool to be able to access and watch those shows from my laptop when I'm on the road.
So, that's what I'm trying to build. When it's on paper, it sure looks like I need a monster of a machine... I'm trying to decide on hardware/OS.
I have an extra motherboard laying around that I could use, but I'm not married to it.
So here are my questions:
- Is this a feasible project?
- What kind of hardware do you think I'll need? Space may end up being a concern, but I don't want to get bogged down worrying about the dimensions of it just yet.
- What sort of system would you recommend for automated backups of the server?
- Would it be possible to build a machine that wouldn't use a TON of electricity when not in heavy use?
- What would be a good OS for the job? Security is a concern of mine and my research has show Fedora is a good balance between security and usability.
This is my first post in this forum so I hope I'm asking in the right place. This is also my first serious attempt at building a server. On the plus side, I think it'll be really cool to do system administration from a Pandora
Any other advice would be really appreciated.
This post has been edited by atraub: 04 January 2011 - 09:51 AM