Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: which language use to develop antivirus software

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: which language use to develop antivirus software

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

There are several languages you can use to create an antivirus software program. Ideally however you will want a language that can get "close enough" to the operating system and memory manipulation to help you identify problems. Typically you will see languages like assembly or C/C++ for this type of software because of its ability to really get down to the "nitty gritty" of memory.

But I have seen other languages like Java, C# or VB being used as well. So there is no real "one magic bullet" language used exclusively for antivirus software development.

Thanks for asking the question and happy new year. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand about antivirus software, the language used is not too important. Like Martyr2 said, C/C++ are probably the best choices as they get low down (without needing to write it in assembly!). However the most important thing about antivirus software is the databases of viruses and other malware to which it checks whether they are dangerous or not.

So if you are seriously planning to create an antivirus you will either want to figure out the best way to create this database or possibly find some public databases.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_vivek verma*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

View PostShane Hudson, on 04 January 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand about antivirus software, the language used is not too important. Like Martyr2 said, C/C++ are probably the best choices as they get low down (without needing to write it in assembly!). However the most important thing about antivirus software is the databases of viruses and other malware to which it checks whether they are dangerous or not.

So if you are seriously planning to create an antivirus you will either want to figure out the best way to create this database or possibly find some public databases.

Hi shane,

i am planning to do so. unfortunately i have no idea about an anti virus development. i have a very good hand in c and c++. have experience in c# .net also. can you please guide me about how to start working on an anti virus s/w.
any help is most welcome.
Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1