Would somebody with my specifications be able to land a job?

MSc Economics, no CS degree, little hobby experience

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 860 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

#1 Guest_skifozoa*

Would somebody with my specifications be able to land a job?

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hello everyone

Last year I graduated as an economics master and this year I'm following a research master in economics but I desperately want a 'career change'. I think a career in programming would suit my preferences, however I wouldn't know whether further formal schooling would be required or on the job (and free time) experience would suffice. I hope that some of you could shed some light on it given following short introduction.

I have always liked programming since I was first introduced to turbo pascal in secondary school (age 12 - 18). I further experimented with HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, etc. in secondary school, making SQL database driven websites (guestbooks, newsfeed, etc...) for our school paper.

At university I had one programming course on VB.NET and had to program different kinds of estimators in MATLAB for a statistics course. Next to this, In my third year I also taught myself the basics of Flash Action Script and programmed both a snooker game engine and a multiplayer online stratego application for fun.

I would adore an entry level job as programmer which would allow me to build experience while at the same time giving me a much needed income from a job that I would actually enjoy. However I'm afraid the little experience I have is not sufficient and I would need more formal training but I don't have the financial means (moved in with my girlfriend who pays for my studies at the moment combined with parental aid) to go through another year of university (this is my sixth year) and I'm tired of not getting on with my life, I'm 23 but enough non essential info...

My question to you would be: How do you asses my chances of landing such a job.(given my obscure bio)? What do you reckon I could do to up my chances? Would making some demo applications in my spare time be a good move? In what kind of application could I show aptitude for problem solving skills?

I appreciate your opinions, insights, tips...

Thanks and kind regards

Simon

btw: apparently I still have the snooker application on some forgotten webspace, I lost the source code and the game is not yet smoothed out to say the least. (this to give you some more info on my (lack of) skills)

http://users.telenet...ker/Snooker.swf

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Would somebody with my specifications be able to land a job?

#2 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would somebody with my specifications be able to land a job?

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

buy some books, read them, and write

in time you can maybe pick up some freelancing, and if your lucky with a nice collection/portfolio of work you've done, you might get an entry level job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

I think there's plenty of room in writing and maintaining business and financial apps, so anyone with a masters in economics and aptitude/experience in programming should be pretty employable, especially if your masters has a research emphasis.
I think you're in with a good shot, just keep an eye out for jobs that interest you and apply for everything you can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

sounds like you have some stuff to allow yourself to find a decent position. Just make some sort of legitimate proof of the work you have done, and you should be able to find something if you look hard enough. I've seen people get entry level jobs with much less than that. but since your degree isn't computer related really, you gotta emphasize on the projects you have done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Perhaps you would start by applying for companies that specializes with business softwares. Because you can always learn to program without a 'formal education'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1