12 Replies - 1177 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

What is jQuery?

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

Can somebody please explain to me what exactly is jQuery? All I get from different websites is that it is some kind of Javascript library. But what I don't understand is that Javascript is a complete scripting language by itself, right? So why need another language to access its library? Javascript is a huge subject in itself, will I have to learn another language just to have an idea of more functions/objects? I hope not. Please explain to me what is jQuery, just as if you are teaching a layman!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is jQuery?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is jQuery?

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

As far as I know, jQuery is a Javascript library that makes coding easier. That is everything which can be done with jQuery can also be done with normal JS, BUT, with more code.
jQuery isn't a language on it's own, but yes, you will find things done in a different way - so you can think of it as a new language. You can also mix jQuery with JS since jQuery is JS.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

jQuery is indeed a Javascript library, I find it particularly useful for AJAX calls and DOM manipulation. In regards to your question about having to learn a new set of objects and functions to use it the answer is yes, but if you already know Javascript it will be easier to pick up. jQuery does have it's own syntax but it's pretty easy to get the hang of the basics.

You are going to find this in most areas of software development, learning to use the language is only part of the skills you will need. You will also have to familiarize yourself with whatever libraries and frameworks are being used on the project you are working on, it comes with the territory.

Try not to get discouraged, the more experience you get the faster you will pick new things up, or at least that's what I'm told :P

This post has been edited by Jstall: 05 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

@Jstall Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Can somebody explain to me what is jQuery? I mean, I have read that it is some sort of a Javascript library, but that is a pretty vague understanding. Please tell me what it is, what it does, what it doesn't, who might require to learn it and why, do I need to know it even when I have mastered Javascript pretty well.

This post has been edited by cupidvogel: 08 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

You already asked this question before.
Why? What doubt do you have? I have already said that everything that can be done with jQuery can be done with Javascript (and more), except that it may require more code. jQuery in many cases may help you get the task done easily. But it isn't essential, you CAN live without it.
EDIT: And further more, I suggest you learn enough JS before trying jQuery. That way, you will get a better understanding on how jQuery works.

This post has been edited by Munawwar: 08 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Yes, I know I have asked it before. Please don't get offended because I am asking it again! :smartass: I just don't understand what is meant by a Javascript library. Javascript is a complete language by itself, so why another language to access just its library? And what else can there be in an additional Javascript library? Why, everything that can be done with client-side scripting is included in Javascript.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Merged duplicate topics. Do NOT open a new topic with the same question. You've been here long enough to know that.

As to what jQuery is, have you bothered to really read the jQuery website? There is TONS of documentation that might help you actually figure out what makes jQuery worthwhile. Whether it suits your needs is for YOU to determine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

Javascript is a complete language by itself, so why another language to access just its library? .... Why, everything that can be done with client-side scripting is included in Javascript.

I don't know what you are thinking. But as you learn more you will eventually get what all this 'library' thingy is. For now be patient, young Jedi.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

jQuery is a library. Javascript is a language.

Here is where you're getting confused:

View Postcupidvogel, on 08 January 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

Javascript is a complete language by itself, so why another language to access just its library?

jQuery is not another language. jQuery is not "accessing Javascript's library".

Think of it this way: If you write a few functions to make life easier for yourself and then end up using them again in your next project, congratulations, you've just made a library. Of sorts, anyway.
That's what jQuery is. It's a collection of functions* that clever people wrote so you don't have to. But that's just the start, it's arranged in ways that let you do lots and lots of other cool things that wouldn't make sense if I tried to explain them before you properly understand what javascript is.

* I am aware of what jQuery actually is and isn't, this is me trying to make it simpler.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

@moopet, Thanks! Good explanation. To tell you the truth, I have become kind of obsessed with jQuery after Feross Aboukhadijeh told me in an email that he had used it in implementing Youtube Instant.

@JackOfAllTrades, Thanks for the advice, but I haven't really been here long enough to know that.It has been just a month, and I haven't really posted much, so I had no idea that this could be done.

@Munawwar I really hope I will get that library thing. Thanks.

By the way, I noted earlier that I had achieved a reputation of 1, which I now see is reduced to zero! Frankly I don't give a damn, but I am sure it is :gun_bandana: JackOfAllTrades!

This post has been edited by cupidvogel: 08 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

POPULAR

Just for the sake of additional clarity, all a library is is a collection of functions, methods and objects. It just so happens that jQuery is a library of javascript functions, methods and objects. There are many different libraries out there for Javascript. All are written in pure Javascript but have their own names for things. Other libraries you may run across include prototype and scriptaculous. All are simply a collection of Javascript. If you open up the jQuery file, what you will see in there is nothing but pure javascript (all be it a bit compressed down and obscure variable names).

If you wanted to open up the jQuery file and stick in your own Javascript function, you can certainly do that and it will add to the library. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

@Martyr2 Thanks. It is now reasonably clear to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1