Pope is the debbil!

WTF Catholics? Religion doesn't work that way!

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

135 Replies - 5807 Views - Last Post: 17 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Pope is the debbil!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

I think they have the whole mandatory tithing thing in there.

You'd think that if the Pope was gonna amend some of the church's platform he might try add the "don't diddle the little boys". I mean they're clear on no men for nuns, no women for priests, no marriage for either and apparently no sex with donkies. How hard would it have been to add "and sex with kids...yeah, that's right out so don't do that either".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

I suspect that would be seen as the equivalent of admitting that it has happened. Which it clearly hasn't!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Except for all the apologies he's been issuing lately.

"We're exceptionally sorry for all the priest dicks you folks have been putting up with for the past...oh...forever. We're working on that."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

No Catholics are really the hard core 'creationists'. The ones that give every detail up to the big man.

To quote an article I was reading a month or so ago:

God acts as a parent toward the universe, nurturing, encouraging and working with it.

The Catholic Church no longer teaches creationism — the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible — and says that the account in the book of Genesis is an allegory for the way God created the world.
cite

Hence why that puts us at odds with some the more crazy strip-mall christians.

@Craig328 - yeah that would be nice. I would hope the public schools would follow suit as well.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 06 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

View Posthookiethe1, on 06 January 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

It is the same thing, "intelligent design" means some "intelligent" deity "designed" us and all the stuff we can poke a stick at.

Come to the church I was raised in and say that. I dare you. They'd lynch you.

I was taught that intelligent design was essentially the fusing of science and religion... that God created the Big Bang and with it life, all along having the INTENT that it would all evolve.

As a child, I was taught in church that God said, "Let there be...." and Bam! There it was. That He created all living things specifically as they should be and always would be and that evolution is a lie forced upon us by the devil who wants us to doubt our beliefs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

This may explain a great deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 06 January 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

View Postsupersloth, on 06 January 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

didn't they basically already believe in intelligent design, now they are just pointing at the things science has found?

just another nazi trying not to fade into irrelevancy.

I always thought the Catholics believed the same things as all the other Christian churches just with Saints and rosaries...

yeah but don't they all basically believe in intelligent design on some level? i mean, the doctrine hasn't really changed, only the push to label it and get it taught in skools.

edit: just saw your other post. GUESS NOT!

This post has been edited by supersloth: 06 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

Intelligent design IS creationism. The term "intelligent design" popped up conveniently after the Supreme Court case Edwards v. Aguillard in 1987 which banned the teaching of "creation science" in the classroom. To get around this, the creationists simply did a search-replace for terms like "creationism" and replaced it with "intelligent design." "God" became "designer." It is simply re-branded creationism. DO NOT BE FOOLED. Here you can see popular creationist text books and their usage of the terms "creationism" and "intelligent design" over the years.

Posted Image

Also, this is completely typical of religion. They will refute scientific claims which are in contention with their own beliefs until the cows come home. Eventually and inevitably, the scientific community will amass a large enough collection of evidence to support their theories and consider the opposition to be outright crazy. At that point, those religions will then claim the scientific theory to be obvious but will tack on the caveat "God did it" or "It was God's plan." FUCK!

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 06 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 06 January 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Now I am far from the religious type. But I look at it as a lot of abstract analogies and metaphors. Let's just say that God did communicate to ancient man (or alien species, or some other extra spectacular being)... man isn't going to understand the birth of the universe. Shit he isn't going to understand that there is something above that big blue sky, and what all those white specks in the night sky actually are.

So instead it's described in a layman version that these ancient us can understand. But also this layman version needs to also be filtered into their ancient language that lacks words to describe things like stars, planets, the big bang, etc. What do you end up with? A over simplified, abstract, and poetic version of the world that is open to interpretation.

So yeah, I can see it.

Exactly. Scriptures are considered to be inspired by and 100% intended by God, the author used his own language/writing style and limited knowledge to convey what was revealed/going on/whatever

View PostBenignDesign, on 06 January 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

My question is how do millions of people just suddenly, simultaneously just stop believing in one thing and start believing in the opposite.

Especially when you look at the historical significance of religious belief systems.

Suddenly the Pope says, "Oh, yeah... sorry for all those people we killed because we thought our beliefs were right. We changed our collective mind now. Our bad." WTF?

<qualifying remarks>
In regards to faith and morals, in communion with the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the Church), what Pope Benedict XVI puts forth is infallible, but only on matters of faith and morals, so no lotto numbers.
</qualifying remarks>

The Pope's job is to further instruct and clarify the teachings of the Church. The reason why (this point is misconstrued like 99% of the time hence the hate about creation between believers and non believers) it is NOT the opposite end of the spectrum is that the story of creation tells us it happened and not how it happened. Theistic evolution (that is evolution started by and perpetually contingent upon God himself) is a perfectly acceptable belief and has been prior to his recent statement.

As the visible head of the Church and the Vicar of Christ, the Pope takes on the responsibility of each individual believer against public wrongdoings eg persecutions a portion of the catholic population committed against another. The Church is made up of human beings, flawed and broken with a built in concupiscence (predilection towards sin). The Pope is also human, and unlike his predecessor Pope John Paul II, a real hardliner. After several apologies made towards the public about the abuse scandals from JPII, Pope Benedict XVI has made still more. Do words make it better? No, that's why crackdowns in the hierarchy of the church were made. Here in NM when Archbishop Sheehan took over in the early 90's (after a serious scandal, the old Archbishop had woman lover on the side), he dismissed all but three men who were in seminary because he saw them to be unfit for priestly duty.

BTW, no matter what your interpretation is on the matter, "diddling kids" has always been considered a great vile moral evil in the eyes of the Church. There's not some bishop somewhere was covertly arranging for priests with sexual disorders to get their hands on some kids. Just the opposite, bishops are trying to prevent such men from entering seminary and continually keeping tabs on their other priests.

Actually, there is a huge philosophical difference between us being just designed and left to our own devices (Deism) and our perpetual participation in being with the Creator. But still there really should not be conflict between intelligent design and the science behind life on our planet, as long as the possibility of God's involvement is held in consideration. For those who don't believe in God, this is a non issue, you simply remove the God part and insert whatever you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

God acts as a parent toward the universe, nurturing, encouraging and working with it.

Well quotes like that are just outright offensive as far as I'm concerned. If there is a god, he hasn't done jack for me, I've done it all myself, and he can nurture my ass with his holy lips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

FFS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Whatever happened to the popemobile?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

It's being used for a new reality show, Pope My Ride.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »