4 Replies - 1340 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to make a new tech news website

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

I want to make a tech news website. I have general knowledge in HTML, CSS, and JS. But never programmed anything for real, so I can say I know these, but I have 0 experience.

My question is, what does it take to make a tech news website like Anandtech.com or Fudzilla.com?

Please give me as much information as possible. I'm ready to use some already written code to make life easier. Please tell about all the options I have.

Thank you :)

PS: I've asked the same question on another website, but it doesn't seem to be really active.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to make a new tech news website

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to make a new tech news website

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:46 AM

There is the custom option but you will need some good knowledge of PHP and MySQL to create the backend of the website. Some Database design will be needed to build a solid and reliable base for the website. These skills can take a while to master.

I recommend you use WordPress. It's easy to install and manage and using your HTML/CSS knowledge I'm sure you could modify themes to suit your website. If you look at most tech/web dev websites they are usually built on WordPress.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Yeah i would agree with RyanRobinson. I would use Wordpress if i was you. It's very easy to customise and it offers allot of very dynamic and useful plug-ins to implement with it. It should also help you integrate with other stuff like social media applications easier to get your site known.

Thanks,
Tom
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Wordpress. It's amazing. It doesn't make you a "noob" if you use wordpress. It just means that you like things simple and not that retard stuff where you have to edit your files to make a post. It's also very simple to install and use.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Well I agree with the other members that have posted here in that Wordpress (or Drupal/Joomla for that matter) is an excellent pre-built system and perfect for someone with no interest in spending hours building a custom CMS.

However Wordpress is not a lightweight system and I think if you spent time building your own CMS not only would you learn a lot but you would get a better system - which is does exactly what you want.

Building your own also means that if you want something changed you will find it very simple to do. Instead of digging through the tens of thousands of lines of code in Wordpress.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1