2 Replies - 429 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

What is the "friends" feature for?

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

I've been wondering this for a while. People sometimes add me as a friend. Without being all caffeine-loungey about it, what's that for, on DIC? You can't send messages to friends, restrict posts or replies to friends, allow friends to see details like your email address but keep it hidden from others, follow friends' blogs or get notified when friends do something. In fact, I haven't seen any mention of friends on the site anywhere except as a list on your profile page.
Is this left over code from some bygone age or something you plan on adding later ... or am I just not noticing where it's actually used?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: What is the "friends" feature for?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the "friends" feature for?

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

Perhaps spreading goodwill and showing support for one another? Not good enough reason than to show your support for someone else? What has our world come to when we have to ask "Why are they my friend? I don't want them to be my friend"
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the "friends" feature for?

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

I would say that it's there to simply keep in touch with people you know easier. Maybe not to the extent you expect, but you can simply open your profile, click on a friend and see what he is up to, or send a message, or view reputation - whatever. That's instead of going through the forum member list or performing a separate search.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1