Simple C++ image display

Interface with external MCU

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 4791 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2011 - 02:32 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Vinny*

Simple C++ image display

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

I need some aid with a project. I have a microcontroller that's reading pixel data from a grayscale CMOS camera chip, and I need a simple C program that will allow me to communicate with the microcontroller via USB or RS-232 (I have all hookup cables), retrieve the data (19X19 grid of 8-bit values), and generate a 19X19 grid on the computer screen. I also want the ability to scale up the size of the 19X19 image so it's larger that 19 pixels across on the computer screen.

Basically I need to see what the camera is seeing. I've written simple C programs in the past that communicate with Microcontrollers, but any direction or aid will be great help.

Thanks!

Vinny

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Simple C++ image display

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Simple C++ image display

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

you have a large number of options. Probably the simplest communication is RS232 - you then need a compiler on the PC which has functions that can receive characters from the serial port and a simple graphics library. I would use Code::Blocks with wxWidgets because I use it all time to talk to microcontrollers. However, if you have Visual Studio that probably has all the functionality you need. An alternative is to use Matlab or Octave.
What microcontroller are you using?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Simple C++ image display

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

C program that will allow me to communicate with the microcontroller via USB or RS-232...

This is your first task. Probably your microcontroller already comes with libraries to connect to the computer - or maybe some third party libraries.
If not, then you might need to do it the hard way - get a library like libUSB (I have never tried this before) - Tutorial on libUSB.
EDIT: OR probably horace got a better idea on this :)

This post has been edited by Munawwar: 10 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1