• +

39 Replies - 5236 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

How to start developing web applications

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

Hi to everyone :)

So i`m in changing my job i was thinking its a good to start learning something new. So here i am starting web development perhaps some site like portfolio for me where i will upload some programs that i have made my CV etc. So i wanted to ask all of you experts in web development what do i need to start writing my site. I will probably use ASP.NET or maybe even Java. So if someone can guide me in the basic what i need to learn to begin with(CSS, XML, HTML or something i rly have no idea). Also if its not a big problem can you give me a little explanation on what is and for what is used any of this tools. Hope any of you can guide me and i`m thankful for all your replies.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to start developing web applications

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to start developing web applications

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hypertext Markup language(HTML):
As the name suggests it's a markup language. Formatting code is contained between < and > for example:
<html>
     <head>
          <link rel="stylsheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
          <title>NoBrain learning HTML</title>
     </head>
     <body>

</body>
</html>

Knowing you having a programming background you should be able to pick this up quickly. Don't make the mistake of using tables for layout as a lot of people do, but it's not the modern way of positioning stuff; that privilege is saved for Cascading Style Sheets(CSS). The syntax of HTML is mostly self explanatory. You can learn more about them in the tutorials section of the website.

Cascading Style Sheets(CSS):
CSS is something wonderful. You can make your raw HTML website look wonderful with it. We also have many tutorials on it also. It's also another simple language to pick up. For example this is how you would change the background color of the above HTML code:
body{
     background: #000;
}

That would make the background color of the background black. There are inline style sheets, internal style sheets, and external style sheets. This is just a really brief description of both of them. If you want more of one look at tutorials on YouTube, or on this site.

I'm sorry NoBrain about my original post for I accidentally clicked out of the text area and hit enter to go to a new line, but it posted it. :angel:

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 11 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

Ty for your replay EnvXOwner i have read a bit about HTML. And from my little that i know its for positioning items on your page am i right? How ever will i need to learn something else. Because i have exp. wit .net framework i guess i will use ASP.NET and C# for my first site. Ty again for your replay :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

View PostNoBrain, on 11 January 2011 - 06:42 AM, said:

And from my little that i know its for positioning items on your page am i right?

Are your talking about CSS? If so then yes and no. It can do it, but it can also do so much more. Especially CSS3 which can do gradients, shapes, animation, etc., but CSS3 isn't widely supported.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

ok ty dude :)
i will see the tutorials later that night and will post if have some question :)
ty for your help :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

I'm always willing to help. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

hello again :)
i was thinking is there any standards or something that i must follow or at least know when i develop web application(web site to be correct)?

and again i will be grateful for any help that anyone can provide me :)

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 11 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

View PostNoBrain, on 11 January 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

hello again :)
i was thinking is there any standards or something that i must follow or at least know when i develop web application?

and again i will be grateful for any help that anyone can provide me :)

Well there are no "standards" that I know of, but there are recommendations from W3C. You here for more information.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 13 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

Oh goody just what i was looking for ty again dude :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

No problem. I'm glad to help! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

View PostEnvXOwner, on 11 January 2011 - 08:47 AM, said:

Why is it every time I come to the HTML & CSS forum everyone is using tables? DON'T USE TABLES!!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking this topic. However, I saw that in EnvXOwner's signature and I can tell you why you see tables so much. It is because people new to web design are often taught to use Dreamweaver for creating templates. And, as we all know, dreamweaver uses tables for positioning elements. People rely too much on WYSIWYG editors when creating pages, don't fall into that trap . Your pages are going to appear differently in different browsers, because there is no standard rendering process. You are inevitably going to learn the hacks for getting a page that works in IE but doesn't work right in Firefox.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

ty SixOfEleven yea that was something that i`m interesting in understanding. You say that my page will look different in different browsers why`s that? Can You please explain it little better?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostNoBrain, on 11 January 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

ty SixOfEleven yea that was something that i`m interesting in understanding. You say that my page will look different in different browsers why`s that? Can You please explain it little better?

Well, some browsers allow elements and attributes that others don't. The one you're going to have the most trouble with is IE. Some browsers position things differently. If you knew CSS3 you would know that if you wanted to make a gradient you would have to do 5 different kinds to support IE7, IE8, Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Safari (Chrome and Safari both use webkit and render pages similar. IE seems to not support many of stuff we would use now a day on the web. I Googled some information and this is what I found. :)

EDIT: Changed link.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 11 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostNoBrain, on 11 January 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

Each browser renders HTML in different ways. For example, Internet Explorer handles padding of items differently than Firefox and other browsers. The reason is the way that browsers work. The browser connects to the internet and receives the page as a stream of bytes. It then processes those bytes and renders them using the tags it receives. Not all browsers render tags in the same way as they all use their own code for rendering tags. Even if the tags are the same, the way they are processed varies from browser to browser. So, basically even though there is a standard for HTML the way it is rendered differs from browser to browser.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

ok so this brings up a question. how can i make my site use "works" the same way for each browser? do i write a different "functions" for each browser or what? ty for your response both of you :)

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 11 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +