2 Replies - 2366 Views - Last Post: 12 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Is a BA in CS the right way to go for web dev?

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

I am a self taught programmer(still a rookie by any means) and also know a bit of web development stuff. I am more interested in the web dev side of the spectrum. Obviously programming goes hand in hand with programming (Javascript, php, asp.net, etc.) I am attending Mansfield University in the fall as a major of CS. Is CS the right program I should be going into for a future career in web dev? Mansfield also offers a Information Sciences major which is less math and theory and more on the business hardware side of things. What is the right path to go?

Also, as of right now, i'd like to start picking up more web dev stuff

What I know
-Html
-Css(enough to get me by)
-Javascript(enough to get me by)
What I want to know
-More indepth CSS
-Javascript(have a class on JS this coming semester in highschool)/Jquery
-XML
-Where and how servers and databases are used.

If anyone could provide a book title or indepth web site on advanced CSS that would be great. Google results are only supplying me with basics. Also I have -NO- idea where or how to use databases with web design. On top of that what does it mean to have a web site run off your own server? It's getting late and can't think of many more questions but im sure I will come up with more. Thanks for your responses ahead of time!

-Dillon

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is a BA in CS the right way to go for web dev?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is a BA in CS the right way to go for web dev?

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Most CS programs are going to be dealing in other things than web development. Things like software programming, networking, database design, math and theory. If you are not interested in that side of things, you can typically find programs that specialize directly in web development. Web development is still trying to gain the respect of its own full bachelors degree, but they do exist.

But, and this is a large but, the way the web is going it will be advantageous for you to know programming concepts that are taught in a CS degree. You will find that server-side languages like PHP or the .NET platform is heavily turning into full programming languages. Frameworks like jQuery, prototype, rails etc are very object oriented and thus knowing things like data structures, design patterns etc is going to be where it is at.

So the real question is how far you want to go down the path of web development? If you are wanting to be in the field for years and years and follow the web into being its own platform and such in the future, then CS now would be a good idea. But if you want to do it more of just a visual thing and less of the programming, perhaps a degree in the visual arts would be more your style.

CS will have classes in web programming and you can take electives in that area if you wish, but CS is usually for those who are going to write software, heavy coding, math, business apps, science apps, working for companies etc.

Hope this advice helps. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 12 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is a BA in CS the right way to go for web dev?

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I am defintley more interested in the programming sides of things on the web. While I do enjoy the graphic and visual side of it, I still prefer doing the stuff that goes down behind he scenes. Thanks for your advice martyr I really appreciate it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1