9 Replies - 6964 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Attempting to set up a DNS mx record so that my mail server will send

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

Hello, I have been working with a personal webserver, however i need to set up my dns server to catch my mail, and forward it to my mail server...
<OS> I am useing windows xp home with sp3...
<DNS> is installed on windows, it "works" but i haven't been able to really figure out how to get the thing to relay my mail between the world on the internet and my mailserver. I bought a book and thi thing is like seriously over my head...lol.
<HMail> is my email server, it is set and ready to go, It works locally but cant send out because everyone rejects outbound mail sent... and it cannot receive mail sent from outside my network.
<ISP> comcast business class w/ static ip, and gateway router... I have my webserver on the gateway, and i want to use my static to connect to my dns... Comcast tech support assured me that i can do this...
<domain registry, and setup> I use netfirms, which will only allow me (since i cant really afford their hosting packages) will not allow me three mail boxes, and i can only use their service to check them... (not what i want!) with their help i set up the mx pointer to my dns servers ip (which is a lil out of date... but thats not my issue here) it is a sub domain (mail.jessefender.com) with an a record (173.160.XXX.XXX <-gateway)the bind server i am using is on my netbook, seeing as all i want is a mail address for me, and an non-reply out going only....e.g. jessefender@jessefender.com, and NoReply@jessefender.com...

The issue i am comming up with is for some reason, it is really difficult to find s "simple" way to set up the dns server to point to the mail server and allows the mail server to send out with out having mainstream servers like google and yahoo, freak out when receiving mail from my mail server.
Any suggestions about good reliable suggestions as to tuts or walk thrus in how to configure my dns server to do what i have attempted to explain what i need to do?

If you need more information i can try to get more detailed information to you...
Edit: Whoops i forgot... If you want to see what is going on, nslookup > mail.jessefender.com will show that it is set up right on the registrars server... just not on my end... /End Edit
Thanks For the suggestions
Jesse Fender

This post has been edited by chuckjessup: 16 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Attempting to set up a DNS mx record so that my mail server will send

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Attempting to set up a DNS mx record so that my mail server will send

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

View Postchuckjessup, on 16 January 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

It works locally but cant send out because everyone rejects outbound mail sent... and it cannot receive mail sent from outside my network.

This is most likely because you have a residential based service. Even though your ISP allows traffic on port 25, they most likely separate their residential customers from commercial customers. Because of this, other ISPs will auto black list (or reject) email from residential customers. You can contact comcast & request more information on their business class services or host your server on a network that has an ip address that is not marked as residential.

Once you fix the above solution, you'll need to check if your IP or domain name are on a black list. I would recommend MX Tool Box, it's free & throughout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:03 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 16 January 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

View Postchuckjessup, on 16 January 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

It works locally but cant send out because everyone rejects outbound mail sent... and it cannot receive mail sent from outside my network.

This is most likely because you have a residential based service. Even though your ISP allows traffic on port 25, they most likely separate their residential customers from commercial customers. Because of this, other ISPs will auto black list (or reject) email from residential customers. You can contact comcast & request more information on their business class services or host your server on a network that has an ip address that is not marked as residential.

Once you fix the above solution, you'll need to check if your IP or domain name are on a black list. I would recommend MX Tool Box, it's free & throughout.

Well here is the Kicker... I have Comcast Buisness Class internet, 1 static ip a,d 1 broadcast(Gateway) ip, Comcast tech support said that i could forward the webserver through the gateway, and the dns server to the ip, or visa versa, atm both are pointed through the gateway apache - 80, 443 and Bind9 - 53, 53
do an ns look up for mail.jessefender.com for ip details.

Ill look into the suggested link... I would really just love to get this working again... BTW im not black listed, google and yahoo couldnt resolve with my dns server.... simply cause i havent figgured out how to get it all working together... I appologize... just frustrated... :)

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

I see.

Under DNS did you add an MX record for your domain & mail server?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 16 January 2011 - 01:05 AM, said:

I see.

Under DNS did you add an MX record for your domain & mail server?

OK ... No i havent, mostly as my attempts to follow the book, and online "help" have lead ne all over the place... i am not too comfortable with what i do "know". the book explains if i had been using Linux as my dns server it would make sense, or more sense... the manual pages with the bind9 install, umm didn't work and i followed them to as close to a "T" as i could...

Mostly i havent ever really dealt with setting up zones, and records, and conf files that make the the bind work, and all the little bind command line utilities are flat out not me.. lol

when you get to "brass tax" I have no clue what i am doing... but i am determined to get it working...
Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

Well, the first thing I would suggest, for a couple reasons, is to look into google apps for businesses. As long as you own your own domain, you can get, for free, 54 mail accounts, and you don't have to deal with issues, like ISP blocking ports, or mail headers, as it is all on google's servers. You will still need to setup MX records though. MX Records are the DNS Records that point to a mailbox. In windows DNS, leave the the host blank (meaning, just the sld (Second Level Domain, in your case JesseFender), or in bind, I believe, you would use @, meaning the same thing. Then, you will want the address of the server(s) in question, either and IP, or the DNS name.

What this does is when someone sends an email to jessfender.com, they query your server, it looks for an MX record where to send, based on the priority, and redirects them to that server.

Some reading I would suggest:

A couple other questions:
Where is your domain registered?
Are you running your own DNS server, or are you using a 3rd party?
If your own, is it registered with your registrar as the authoritative name server?
Do you have the SOA (Start of Authority) records correct?

This post has been edited by Gorian: 16 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

View PostGorian, on 16 January 2011 - 01:41 AM, said:

Well, the first thing I would suggest, for a couple reasons, is to look into google apps for businesses. As long as you own your own domain, you can get, for free, 54 mail accounts, and you don't have to deal with issues, like ISP blocking ports, or mail headers, as it is all on google's servers. You will still need to setup MX records though. MX Records are the DNS Records that point to a mailbox. In windows DNS, leave the the host blank (meaning, just the sld (Second Level Domain, in your case JesseFender), or in bind, I believe, you would use @, meaning the same thing. Then, you will want the address of the server(s) in question, either and IP, or the DNS name.

What this does is when someone sends an email to jessfender.com, they query your server, it looks for an MX record where to send, based on the priority, and redirects them to that server.

A couple other questions:
Where is your domain registered?
Are you running your own DNS server, or are you using a 3rd party?
If your own, is it registered with your registrar as the authoritative name server?
Do you have the SOA (Start of Authority) records correct?

OK I thought i said most of this in my original post...

I used netfirms. Since i can barely afford my internet, and they want lik 200 a year to host, i was like Ill do my own server, so i built amd got my webserver running, then i was like i need mail... so i found an inexpencive mail server that works... Now i need to get my dns server configured to handeled my mail so that incomming and outgoing mail go to the right folders.

Google apps is NOT free, if you use google to sign up its 50 dollars per user... per year... and has stuff i dont want or need... if i sign up through my registrar its 78 .90 per year per user... for the same thing... so i dont understand where you got the free part...

As far as i know i own the domain... i have it for a year and some months, and i plan on renewing it...

As far as i have gotten with this install of this dns server, is i installed it.... i havent the foggiest on its setup... and nothing seems really clear or is writen for linux based systems which makes me ??? on its configuration...

**Edit** Ns look ups of: jessefender.com = 75.75.75.75#53 , server 75.75.75.75 , non authoritive is name: jessefender.com , server 67.23.129.23

of mail.jessefender.com: addr 75.75.75.75 , Server 75.75.75.75#53 , non authoritive is name: mail.jessefender.com , address 173.160.21.254
**/End Edit**

Jesse Fender

This post has been edited by chuckjessup: 16 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

I used netfirms.

My apologies, I did read the previous post, but am also quite tired.

Google apps is NOT free, if you use google to sign up its 50 dollars per user... per year... and has stuff i dont want or need... if i sign up through my registrar its 78 .90 per year per user... for the same thing... so i dont understand where you got the free part...

Try it, it is. EDIT: got a link: http://www.google.co...roup/index.html

I have it setup, haven't paid anything. It is free to a point, and after that, they charge you up the ass.
mail.thelenon.com

As far as i have gotten with this install of this dns server, is i installed it.... i havent the foggiest on its setup... and nothing seems really clear or is writen for linux based systems which makes me ??? on its configuration...

could you post the contents of the zone file, in code tags, like so: :code:

as a sidenote (my help is given freely, and not contingent on this), and one you can completely disregard if you so choose, if you wish to PM me, I can offer cheap hosting, and 3rd party dns, as well as setting up your email with Google Apps.

This post has been edited by Gorian: 16 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostGorian, on 16 January 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

I used netfirms.

My apologies, I did read the previous post, but am also quite tired.

Try it, it is. EDIT: got a link: http://www.google.co...roup/index.html

I have it setup, haven't paid anything. It is free to a point, and after that, they charge you up the ass.
mail.thelenon.com

could you post the contents of the zone file, in code tags, like so: :code:

as a sidenote (my help is given freely, and not contingent on this), and one you can completely disregard if you so choose, if you wish to PM me, I can offer cheap hosting, and 3rd party dns, as well as setting up your email with Google Apps.

I dont have a zone file, i never got that far... however i took you up on the google apps thing, Im sorry i snapped a little last night/this morning... (google apps will likely work for what i need it to do... i think ill check it out and will post again if i need to change it)

Thanks,
Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

I dont have a zone file, i never got that far... however i took you up on the google apps thing, Im sorry i snapped a little last night/this morning... (google apps will likely work for what i need it to do... i think ill check it out and will post again if i need to change it)

Thanks,
Jesse Fender

Well, you will need a zone file, as that is where your DNS records are stored (though, you don't necessarily mess with them directly in windows server, can't say for linux, as my experience with it is more limited)

Haha, all good. You will notice also my lack of sleep in missing some of what you typed :) Feel free to come back if you need more help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1