6 Replies - 20159 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2011 - 02:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Where to start with Java game programming

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a dilemma at the moment where I want to make a portfolio that is impressive.
I spoke to my tutor and he said that I should make games as that is one of the hardest aspects of programming.
The problem is, he said that XNA is frowned upon and that I should look into either C++ or Java game programming instead.
I tried downloading Opengl and it didn't seem to install properly for some reason (even though my laptop has a very good nvidia graphics card).
So instead I want to go the Java route as I can make the games work on any system.
What I want to know is what is the best way to make games in Java, do I need to download anything or is it just a matter or importing the right libraries?

Any advice is appreciated :)

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 16 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start with Java game programming

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start with Java game programming

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

You can develop games for any system using C++ and OpenGL, SDL or any number of libraries. I'm not sure what you need to start developing in Java but I think you are right that you need to download some useful libraries. You will need a compiler/IDE which I'm sure someone who uses Java will recommend for you.

In my opinion though I would try C++. Download VC++ express and check out the tutorials in my signature to get started with SDL or check out the many great game programming tutorials here on </dream.in.code> :)

*edit*
I don't understand why your tutor would say that XNA is frowned upon. If your game is polished and the code is well written then it doesn't matter which language you used. In fact I would go as far to say that if you can knock up quality games quick in XNA then you're in a great position, especially with the distribution options available on Xbox Live.

This post has been edited by stayscrisp: 16 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Two free books:

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg2/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostDivideByZero, on 16 January 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a dilemma at the moment where I want to make a portfolio that is impressive.
I spoke to my tutor and he said that I should make games as that is one of the hardest aspects of programming.

You should make 3D games, and if AI and other components of the game engine are a bit of a challenge then make graphics demos... very impressive ones that make use of HDR etc.

The problem is, he said that XNA is frowned upon and that I should look into either C++ or Java game programming instead.

As staycrisp said, XNA isn't frowned upon per se, but using C++ with say OpenGL or DirectX in particular does carry more weight, as the techniques you'll be using with those environments match a lot more closely what you'll be using professionally.

I tried downloading Opengl and it didn't seem to install properly for some reason (even though my laptop has a very good nvidia graphics card).

What does 'didn't seem to install properly' mean? :)

So instead I want to go the Java route as I can make the games work on any system.
What I want to know is what is the best way to make games in Java, do I need to download anything or is it just a matter or importing the right libraries?

Any advice is appreciated :)

A Java guru will have to help you with this one. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

I am well into my second course in Java programming. I had the highest grade in the course and now in my second course, I am excelling even further. However, this Killer Game Programming with Java book still flies over my head. I typed out all of the code for the animation framework and it compiled, but there was nothing to show for it. Then towards the end of the chapter the author starts discussing 6 different kinds of timers, and I don't know where one stops and another begins... Can anyone suggest a lighter intro in to java game programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

Try this out.
Quite a nice tutorial to get you on with game programming in Java.

And in case you want to use a game engine, here is one.

This post has been edited by chinchang: 07 February 2011 - 07:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

View Post2NickPick, on 07 February 2011 - 04:58 AM, said:

I am well into my second course in Java programming. I had the highest grade in the course and now in my second course, I am excelling even further. However, this Killer Game Programming with Java book still flies over my head. I typed out all of the code for the animation framework and it compiled, but there was nothing to show for it. Then towards the end of the chapter the author starts discussing 6 different kinds of timers, and I don't know where one stops and another begins... Can anyone suggest a lighter intro in to java game programming?

I've been in that position where the text seems incomprehensible. I would look at other sources but come back to killer game programming in a couple of weeks or months. If you are progressing you'll be able to feel a change in reviewing the same text. I would say that book is a good benchmark to know when you're ready to programming your own material.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1