12 Replies - 2162 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

The transition from Blogger to Wordpress

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

I'm going to be setting up a personal web server in the next few weeks and when it's set up I'm going to host my blog myself and I'll be transition from blogger to wordpress.

There's going to be a lot of work to do because I'm planning a massive redesign. Will you do all the work for me? I can't afford to pay you, but programmers love doing stuff for free, right? Besides it sounds like a lot of work that I don't wanna do. just kidding. Actually, I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do before I have the new server. How hard would it be to prepare the new site and then move it to my server once I have it? Or should I just wait until I have the server to move forward?

This post has been edited by atraub: 17 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The transition from Blogger to Wordpress

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: The transition from Blogger to Wordpress

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

Moving wordpress around but keeping the database the same is extremely easy. I do all of my wp development locally with a remote mysql backdoor set up for my office and a few .htaccess redirects and a subversion deployment to my production server once it works. I've yet to have a database move go smoothly, however. Someone else might disagree, but unless you have a way of developing on your production database, which you might since you plan on hosting yourself, starting early doesn't seem to be worth it if you're just going to be dealing with a database move in a couple weeks.

Since you're hosting yourself, however, I imagine you may already have the production database set up. If you can develop on this database and have, for example, a local LAMP install to develop on, it would be very easy to move your files to the production server as soon as you get it up. If you're going to be moving wp around, make sure this is in your wp-config.php file:
define('WP_HOME', 'http://'. $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);
define('WP_SITEURL', 'http://'. $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

I don't own the physical hardware that I'll be hosting it on yet ^_^ sounds like I should wait.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

I would say yes, unless you're a king at database moves, wait. No reason you can't build your theme template in basic html now, though... if you're developing your own theme.. That could save some time once you can get a real wp install working.

EDIT: Don't mean to discourage, you could have more success at moving databases. It is probably worth looking into for yourself.

This post has been edited by andwilley: 17 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Never moved a database before; I think I'll wait. Thanks for your help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:09 AM

View Postatraub, on 17 January 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm going to be setting up a personal web server in the next few weeks and when it's set up I'm going to host my blog myself and I'll be transition from blogger to wordpress.

There's going to be a lot of work to do because I'm planning a massive redesign. Will you do all the work for me? I can't afford to pay you, but programmers love doing stuff for free, right? Besides it sounds like a lot of work that I don't wanna do. just kidding. Actually, I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do before I have the new server. How hard would it be to prepare the new site and then move it to my server once I have it? Or should I just wait until I have the server to move forward?

Its not a big deal to move from blogger to wordpress... i made it successful 3 months ago...may be i can help you if you face any problems..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'll keep that in mind when the time comes, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

Sorry if this is a newbie comment but since wordpress runs off of MySQL shouln't be as easy as editing the WP-CONFIG file and importing the old database file?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Dunno. Due too budget limitations, this transition should be happening in mid March. I'm waiting til' March 1st to buy the hardware, then I gotta build it, then I gotta set up mythtv, svn, and LAMP. I also have to configure my router and its' firewall accordingly. But when it's all done, it will be a beautiful site... I hope.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:09 AM

yeah you should (once your LAMP server is installed) be able to export your blog on blogger and then install wordpress. You Really dont need to move any database if you export the blog at from blogger and use wordpress to import it you should have all the same posts,comments,etc.

Building a theme is also twice as easy on WP then blogger in my opinion.

View PostSadin56, on 15 February 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

yeah you should (once your LAMP server is installed) be able to export your blog on blogger and then install wordpress. You Really dont need to move any database if you export the blog at from blogger and use wordpress to import it you should have all the same posts,comments,etc.

Building a theme is also twice as easy on WP then blogger in my opinion.

If you need any help with WP id be glad to help :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hello atraub,

If you're new to wordpress, you can download a free wordpress plugin which migrates all your Blogger account's posts to your WordPress blog so you can edit them and do as you please. Information about this pluing you can find here.

Check this link out to learn about importing content into Wordpress in general:

------>>> Import Content into Wordpress <<<------

Hope that helps! Good luck and happy blogging!

EDIT:// I realized you might not know how to install / use the Importer Plugin, if you are unsure about how to install a plugin into your WordPress installation you can check out how here.

This post has been edited by Vip3rousmango: 24 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the infoVip3rousmango. While I haven't done much with webservers, I have been working with Linux for years, but I do appreciate the info.

Admittedly, I had forgotten about this thread. Now seems like a good time for an update. I ordered all the hardware and my machine is built. Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP are all installed and are running fine for the most part. MySQL needs to be restarted every time the server reboots but I suppose I can just put that into some startup script... even though it's a little hacky. I gotta read up on linux administration... but learning Linux administration was one of my motivations for building the server in the first place.

Wordpress is installed too. I followed the guide on their website and it was pretty straight forward. Currently, I'm in the process of trying to install the importer plugin for blogger. unfortunately, it wants FTP info to let me do that.
Spoiler
I think Otto's suggestion will save the day... but we'll see. Unfortunately, I've been so busy that I haven't had any time to work on it since Tuesday. This weekend will likely be no exception, so I'm trying to make sure the time I devote to my server really counts.

That's about it. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to give em!

This post has been edited by atraub: 25 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

Im pretty sure if you use the export tool on blogger you can import it using your administration panel in wordpress.

correct me if im wrong i haven't used wp in weeks starting on Drupal
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1