Would it be hard getting a job with long hair?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 12668 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would it be hard getting a job with long hair?

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Pretty much insertAlias' last two posts in spades. I can't emphasize how much different the interview is from the day-to-day job. Consider: at some point, chances are you're going to be sitting in front of someone from HR who doesn't know a mouse from a moon pie. They ARE going to judge you on appearance. Period. The tech folk, well, you may be able to impress them with your work enough that they grant a pass to a slovenly look but you're there (at an interview) to impress people with all aspects of your existence: not just your coding acumen.

If you show up well groomed in appropriate clothes (and yes, for an interview a suit is appropriate and conveys a level of respect for the process and people involved therein) you won't be in danger of generating any negative marks. Show up with a purple spiked mullet with piercings and tattoos in a wife beater and cutoffs and you've already set yourself a tougher hill to climb to get a job. Keep in mind: you aren't the only guy who can do what you do. If other interviewees show up looking more professional and exhibiting the presence of thoughtfulness of others' impressions and some consideration for the process...you should too if you want to be equally evaluated.

Once you get the job THEN you can feel free to test the boundaries of the company's dress code and personal deportment language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

First job I went for in IT I got to the agency and they told me they wouldn't bother giving me the interview because the employer wouldn't hire me with long hair.
Fortunately, that's been the exception. Also, it was in the dark ages sometime, so probably isn't relevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

If the guy has to ask, he probably needs to cut his hair.

I stand by the idea that you go in comfortable with yourself, and good at your job, and a good employer will notice that. If you don't feel comfortable going with your long hair (and asking shows you aren't comfortable), then cut the shit.

But my point with my previous sarcastic post is that there isn't any right answer. Each employer is completely different. I've met some who hate the poised perfect cleaned up look... they consider it 'dishonest'. But they also hate a slob, anyone would be turned off by that.

I usually go to an interview how I dress (not casual dress, but dress dress). I don't dress with clean cut hair, sports jackets, etc... I dress UP in that. I dress in a clean shirt, nice slacks, possibly a loose tie (possibly), and thin shaggy hair, because that's what I like to wear during the week, work or not. It ain't scrubby, it ain't clean cut. It isn't lazy shit head sitting at home, but it isn't Mr. Brown-nose. And in my experience most employers in this field look for that middle ground in that looks department.

I always like the phrase, dress for the job you want, not the job you'll get. And that is all very personal... it doesn't necessarily mean 'clean as a whistle'... because that might not be the job YOU want.

Of course if we're considering 'necessity'... that's a whole other game. But in necessity you don't ask these questions. Sorry in necessity case you are a "yes sir, whatever you would like sir, how high should I be jumping sir?" kind of guy... why would someone ask such a frivolous question in that case?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 19 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

why would someone ask such a frivolous question in that case?

Well, honestly, some people don't know. I've heard stories from my friends that do interviews that some people just don't know what's expected of them at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I often think that's the point. See how you react walking into an L-shaped ambush.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

View PostinsertAlias, on 19 January 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

Well, honestly, some people don't know. I've heard stories from my friends that do interviews that some people just don't know what's expected of them at all.

True, some people don't. I know a guy who is about to graduate with a degree in business and finance, and he thinks he won't ever have to wear a suit to an interview. I told him he really should, because he sure can't rely on his own intelligence.

View Postlordofduct, on 19 January 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

Each employer is completely different. I've met some who hate the poised perfect cleaned up look... they consider it 'dishonest'. But they also hate a slob, anyone would be turned off by that.

That's where it becomes a gamble. You can be pretty sure that any interviewer you face knows you don't wear a suit every day, but while one is sitting there thinking "this guy's trying to disguise himself as something he's not and is therefore dishonest" another might be thinking "this guy is prepared to go the extra distance to stand out from the crowd, and by dressing formally he is showing respect for me, himself, and this entire process."
If you figure out a way to know which type of person you'll be facing ahead of time, then you'll never have trouble getting a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

By the way, OP. I love Calvin and Hobbes, so I noticed your sig right away. But I can't get the mental image of what he's doing out of my head. It looks like he's "rubbing one out" with both hands and really enjoying it!

This post has been edited by insertAlias: 19 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

I dont have that long of hair anymore its more shaggy than long and I cut it when I'm able to put the bangs or whatever down to my top lip. Every interview I've been face to face in the IT I've got the job. I trim my beard and keep a goatee but I never comb my hair. I dry it with a towel and drive with the window down so it never looks in order. I dont wear suits but I dress nice and show a little of respect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

View PostKYA, on 19 January 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

See how you react walking into an L-shaped ambush.

Charge. Immediately.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 19 January 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

You can't go wrong wearing a suit and tie to an interview. No one will ever mark you down for being over dressed. Anything less casual is risky. Even if the day traders wear sweats and flip flops ( I have seen this ), go with the suit.

Actually, there is one place that I know of that will laugh you out of the building if you show up wearing a suit and tie and that's Cartoon Network here in Atlanta. If you show up for an interview wearing anything more formal than jeans and a t-shirt, you do not get to interview.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Well, of course, adjust as appropriate. But assume formality and adjust otherwise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 January 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

Though I am curious if the same commentary (from mostly US flagged people) holds up in South Africa (op's flag of choice). Wait.. OP - are you going for the Justin Bieber look?

It's a good question, since I haven't been in the US I don't really know how it is there... But most deff a good question.
As for the Justin Bieber look, **** NO!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

View Posthookiethe1, on 19 January 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

Second question: I don't think it's possible to overdress for an interview, but it's certainly possible to underdress.

Not really. I've seen someone bust into the McDonalds I used to work at for an interview in a full suit and tie... for a fry cook position. I lol'd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Implementation of "dress for the job you want, not the one you have."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

He was a jobless man, and was getting a job at McD's. You can get away with jeans and a tshirt at McD's as 99% of employees are in high school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +