1 Replies - 632 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can't get it clear about fonts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hello guys,
I can't get the idea of what is web safe and what fonts are web safe. What new features like @fontface should be used and in what browsers are they supported? I have the general idea that some fonts are not present at some machines so the designers tend to use web safe fonts but what fonts are web safe? Also what alternative are there to create cool fonts(for logos/headings and so). I really can't wrap my head about this.

What is cufon? What else is there?

You see i'm really confused about fonts so can you give me some explanations or point me to some great tutorials?

Thank you, Deemeetar.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can't get it clear about fonts

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can't get it clear about fonts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

View Postdeemeetar, on 19 January 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

Hello guys,
I can't get the idea of what is web safe and what fonts are web safe. What new features like @fontface should be used and in what browsers are they supported? I have the general idea that some fonts are not present at some machines so the designers tend to use web safe fonts but what fonts are web safe? Also what alternative are there to create cool fonts(for logos/headings and so). I really can't wrap my head about this.

What is cufon? What else is there?

You see i'm really confused about fonts so can you give me some explanations or point me to some great tutorials?

Thank you, Deemeetar.

Well, here is an example of a CSS3 fontface on my website:
Attached Image

The @font-face is compatible with:
Safari since 3.1
Opera since 10
IE since 4 (I'm not to sure about that)
Firefox since 3.5
Chrome since 4.0
Netscape since 4

SOURCE

Thanks to CSS3 there really isn't anymore "web safe font". Do keep in mind though that HTML5 and CSS3 are new, not complete, and lack support. Here is an example of what it would look like in CSS3:

@font-face
{
font-family:FontBlah;
src:url("font_name.ttf");
}

EDIT: Your able to use this font because it's on the webserver. When the user visits the website it calls that font and displays it where you want it to. In my case it's a header. I'm glad that I was the first to get to this question. I just love HTML5 and CSS3 questions. lol

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 19 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1