8 Replies - 4594 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2011 - 03:29 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to read data from pci based card

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

hi
I have a voice logger card which is connected on pc's PCI slot.

these can be in multiplication (many card can be connected with many slots)

each card have 4 telephone lines, some phone lines are connected.

I need to identify how many cards are connected and how many phone lines are active.

then I want to read the data of connected phone line.

any help from any body would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to read data from pci based card

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: how to read data from pci based card

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Well you got a lot of work to do.

Did the cards come with software?
Do you have any schematics for the cards?
What OS are you planing to use?
Do you know what the physical address/s of the card/s are?
Do you know how to write your own device driver?, you will need drivers that can "talk" to the card.

Once you can communicate with the card/s, then you need to write your capture software. I would chose a language that has built in support for sound and sound recording.

There's still more to do, but that should be enough to get you started. Do you have any code that you have written for this project? If so, please post it Using BBCode when posting. For example:
Paste Your Code Here

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

I would assume the cards came with drivers from the manufacturer.
The maker of the cards is your best, first source for documentation and an SDK (Software Developers Kit).

If the maker has designed the cards to be useable by other developers then it will be a LOT easier. You will just have to follow the maker's SDK and documentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 20 January 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

Well you got a lot of work to do.

Did the cards come with software?
Do you have any schematics for the cards?
What OS are you planing to use?
Do you know what the physical address/s of the card/s are?
Do you know how to write your own device driver?, you will need drivers that can "talk" to the card.

Once you can communicate with the card/s, then you need to write your capture software. I would chose a language that has built in support for sound and sound recording.

There's still more to do, but that should be enough to get you started. Do you have any code that you have written for this project? If so, please post it Using BBCode when posting. For example:
Paste Your Code Here

Thanks for the replay,
I have drivers of these cards, and i have installed these cards in my pc
these cards are working fine with there test sample application, these are showing there status with telephone lines, but i dont have documentation for that, so i want to know how they are communicating? because this test application is working fine with number of cards and number of lines connected with it, although it is not recording files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

View Post[email protected], on 20 January 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the replay,
these cards are working fine with there test sample application, these are showing there status with telephone lines, but i dont have documentation for that, so i want to know how they are communicating? because this test application is working fine with number of cards and number of lines connected with it, although it is not recording files.

Have you contacted the maker of the cards to obtain a Software Developers Kit? The maker is always the first place to go for this sort of thing. Reverse engineering their operation is not easy. If they have a developers kit it is worth the effort to get it.

And I don't mean have you casually browsed their website for an easy download of it. I mean have you made an EFFORT to get it? Called them... written them... If you have to spend 20 hours getting their SDK it is a lot better than 500 hours to reverse engineer their communication from scratch.

This post has been edited by tlhIn'toq: 20 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 20 January 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

Thanks for the replay,

Have you contacted the maker of the cards to obtain a Software Developers Kit? The maker is always the first place to go for this sort of thing. Reverse engineering their operation is not easy. If they have a developers kit it is worth the effort to get it.

And I don't mean have you casually browsed their website for an easy download of it. I mean have you made an EFFORT to get it? Called them... written them... If you have to spend 20 hours getting their SDK it is a lot better than 500 hours to reverse engineer their communication from scratch.

I have got the dll file but now I am not able to add it into my code, when I am adding it as reference it is showing
"A reference to the "....dll" could not be added.Please make sure that the file is accessible and that it is a valid assembly..."

it may include some header which is not converted by C# compiler, so please tell me what to do now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

I have got the dll file but now I am not able to add it into my code, when I am adding it as reference it is showing
"A reference to the "....dll" could not be added.Please make sure that the file is accessible and that it is a valid assembly..."

it may include some header which is not converted by C# compiler, so please tell me what to do now?

Do you have any documentation about their drivers?
Will those drivers work with the language you are using?

Can you give the part numbers, name and type of cards and an example of your code so that we can better help you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Post[email protected], on 21 January 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PosttlhIn, on 20 January 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

Thanks for the replay,

There are a lot of tutorials around the web for using DLLs in your applications. I'm not going to repeat all of that.
DLL's are not converted by the compiler. You access methods in them that have been made publicly available by the maker of the DLL.

Frankly, I'm not interesting in taking 500 hours to reverse engineer the communications for a card I have nothing to do with, and you seem to be avoiding the entire topic of getting an SDK from the maker. As well as avoiding providing any specifics about the card. I'm guessing that you either can't be bothered with trying to get it or the maker charges for the SDK and you're doing your best to not have to pay for it.

But there's really nothing more I can do to help you with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

heartily thanks for your reply.
yes maker is asking about money for SDK, but I have got a dll for testing purpose for which i have told.

I am trying to make my application with the same for the time being.

again thanks for suggestions, I'll get back if further help is required.

This post has been edited by insertAlias: 25 January 2011 - 08:51 AM
Reason for edit:: removed unnecessary quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1