Page 1 of 1

Scottm:: Using/Learning GIMP #1 Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

This is my first part of learning and using GIMP.
In this tutorial, I will try and go over most of the important tools in the toolbox.

What is GIMP?
"GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

GIMP is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms. But basically the same code also runs on MS Windows and Mac OS X. " -- http://www.gimp.org/...troduction.html

In lay-mans terms, it is a free photoshop:)

Where to download it?
You can go ahead and download it at the GIMP website. Which is http://www.gimp.org/

After downloading it, how do I start?
You can create a new project by going to File > New and changing the Width and Height to whatever pixels you want.

Now, let's break down all of the "important" tools in the toolbox window.

Your toolbox window should look something like this:
Posted Image

Starting at the top left is the Rectangle Select Tool.
That tool does just as it's name. You can drag it on your image to select a rectangle. You can copy the selected rectangle by hitting Ctrl+C. You can delete the selected rectangle by hitting DELETE. And you can inversely select the area by hitting Ctrl+i. (This selects everything outside of the rectangle, rather than inside)

Going to the right, you see the Ellipse Selection Tool.
This does just as the rectangle selection tool does, however, it selects a shape that is an ellipse.

Next is the Free Select Tool.
You can use this to select regions, that say, aren't rectangles or ellipses. Just outline the part you want selected, and once that is done hit ENTER. That selects the region. The same keys apply. Ctrl+c for copy, DELETE for delete, and Ctrl+i for inverted.

Then we have the Fuzzy Select Tool.
This selects regions based on color. So if you click and drag around a color, it will select it.

The next import tool is the Path Tool.
With this you can do many things. You can select regions like you did with the Free Select Tool, or you can draw lines by mapping it out then hitting Stroke Path in the toolbox under Path Tool. This comes in handy a lot.

Move Tool.
Use this tool to move selected areas, and layers around.

Rotate Tool.
This can be used to rotate a layer by selecting this tool, and simply just click on the layer. You can change the direction it is rotated by moving the slider.

Text Tool.
This is used to create text. To do so just click on the layer and start typing!

Bucket Fill Tool.
[You can use this tool to add/change colors of selections or layers by choosing the foreground color and simply click on the layer/selection you want changed.

Blend Tool.
Mainly this is used to add gradients to your layers/selections. To do so click on gradient: and find one you like. You can also costume create them by changing your background and foreground colors. After you get one just click and drag across the layer/selection

Paintbrush Tool.
]Say you don't want to color a whole selection with the bucket fill tool, you can use this to do touchups, or literally paint the layer. You can change the opacity by moving the slider for opacity. Same with scale. And to change size/types of paintbrushes click on the Brush: and go through them.

Erase Tool.
]Pretty straight forward. You can erase things by clicking on it and clicking + holding + dragging over the part you want erased. You can change the opacity and size also by adjusting the sliders.

And those are the basic tools used in the toolbox. In the next tutorial I will go through the Filters menu. Stating definitions for them and also what they will do to your image.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Page 1 of 1