And we wonder why

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

72 Replies - 1755 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

#1 rgfirefly24  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon


Reputation: 262
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,461
  • Joined: 07-April 08

And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Our kids are messed up.

Here are some book i recently saw on Ellen which just weren't quite right

Isn't she a little young to be having kids? not according to this book!
Attached Image

See son, the animals are doing it.
Attached Image

I think it would be fun to share signs, books, Photos, or what ever else you can find that are just a little bit off.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 21 January 2011 - 07:50 AM


Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: And we wonder why

#2 raziel_  Icon User is offline

  • Like a lollipop
  • member icon

Reputation: 464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,255
  • Joined: 25-March 09

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

thats just fucking sick. i wonder will the give free vibrator with the book so the young ladies or boys to play with? perhaps a little lubricant too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Kilorn  Icon User is offline

  • XNArchitect
  • member icon



Reputation: 1356
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,528
  • Joined: 03-May 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

I think perhaps it's our own perverted minds that are making these images worse than they really are. How do we know that the baby in the first image isn't just a new sibling of the girl who is holding the baby? And the second image is clearly just a group of animals working together to win a healthy round of tug-o-war.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 raziel_  Icon User is offline

  • Like a lollipop
  • member icon

Reputation: 464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,255
  • Joined: 25-March 09

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

perhaps but it looks so much to me like they are having a lot of fun anyway :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Kilorn  Icon User is offline

  • XNArchitect
  • member icon



Reputation: 1356
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,528
  • Joined: 03-May 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

Upon further investigation, it appears that Grace is really the older sister of the baby in the first picture and is just trying to help her mom take care of the new baby after they arrive home from the hospital.

And a description of the second book from Amazon: The chicken is trying to pull a nice, juicy worm out of the ground, but it's not budging. So she enlists the help of the rabbit, but the two of them still can't do it. Soon the whole barnyard is helping her pull, when...This satisfying, circular story with a repetitive refrain will have even the youngest readers wanting to help pull on that stubborn worm!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 biggerB  Icon User is offline

  • If at first you donít succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

Reputation: 80
  • View blog
  • Posts: 760
  • Joined: 11-June 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Dirty Mind;
"A tendency to view everything in such a way to have adulterated meaning, when it is not actually meant to have so."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 782
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,610
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostKilorn, on 21 January 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

...
And a description of the second book from Amazon: The chicken is trying to pull a nice, juicy worm out of the ground, but it's not budging. So she enlists the help of the rabbit, but the two of them still can't do it. Soon the whole barnyard is helping her pull, when...This satisfying, circular story with a repetitive refrain will have even the youngest readers wanting to help pull on that stubborn worm!


Hey at least it's better than Hop on Pop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 lordofduct  Icon User is offline

  • I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon


Reputation: 2531
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,631
  • Joined: 24-September 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

View PostKilorn, on 21 January 2011 - 08:01 AM, said:

I think perhaps it's our own perverted minds that are making these images worse than they really are. How do we know that the baby in the first image isn't just a new sibling of the girl who is holding the baby? And the second image is clearly just a group of animals working together to win a healthy round of tug-o-war.


agreed



Though there is this picture floating around the internets. It's an ad for popsicles, or maybe it was ice cream... no it was popsicles. The ad seems ok at first, and then you're like... wait... wtf?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8962
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,586
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

I am glad to see the failure of this morning continues with the OP. Let's pull this topic out of the much and shift gears to favorite childrens books.

My favorite:


http://www.amazon.co...95623253&sr=8-1
Posted Image


The scariest thing I was forced to remember yesterday was

Quote

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
70 percent of books published do not earn back their advance.
70 percent of the books published do not make a profit.
(Source: Jerold Jenkins, www.JenkinsGroupInc.com)
http://www.humorwrit...tlingstats.html


(Yes this is a pro literacy thread jack.)

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 21 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5441
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,674
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 21 January 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

Our kids are messed up.

Here are some book i recently saw on Ellen which just weren't quite right

Isn't she a little young to be having kids? not according to this book!

See son, the animals are doing it.

I think it would be fun to share signs, books, Photos, or what ever else you can find that are just a little bit off.


The best concept I learned in the army was "Lead by example". Frankly I find it humorous that while blaming others for how the next generation is turning out worse than the previous, there are so many problem with the structure of your writing.

"are some book" - book is singular while the rest refers to a plural use.
"i" not capitalized.
First sentence lacking ending punctuation.
"not according [...]" start of sentence not capitalized.
"signs, books, Photos" photos capitalized in the middle of the sentence without being a proper name.

If we, the previous generation don't provide a proper example and set a decent standard then there is nothing to wonder about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 NeoTifa  Icon User is offline

  • Whorediot
  • member icon





Reputation: 2587
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15,619
  • Joined: 24-September 08

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

The last non-school book I bought was Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope" or whatever. I never finished it. It's not because it wasn't good, it's just that I'm too busy.

View PosttlhIn, on 21 January 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

View Postrgfirefly24, on 21 January 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

Our kids are messed up.

Here are some book i recently saw on Ellen which just weren't quite right

Isn't she a little young to be having kids? not according to this book!

See son, the animals are doing it.

I think it would be fun to share signs, books, Photos, or what ever else you can find that are just a little bit off.


The best concept I learned in the army was "Lead by example". Frankly I find it humorous that while blaming others for how the next generation is turning out worse than the previous, there are so many problem with the structure of your writing.

"are some book" - book is singular while the rest refers to a plural use.
"i" not capitalized.
First sentence lacking ending punctuation.
"not according [...]" start of sentence not capitalized.
"signs, books, Photos" photos capitalized in the middle of the sentence without being a proper name.

If we, the previous generation don't provide a proper example and set a decent standard then there is nothing to wonder about.


People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
*problems
*if we, the previous generation, don't provide a proper example and set a decent standard, then there ....

;)

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 21 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 xTorvos  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 61
  • View blog
  • Posts: 271
  • Joined: 23-October 09

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Of course . . . too busy posting on DIC. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 lordofduct  Icon User is offline

  • I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon


Reputation: 2531
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,631
  • Joined: 24-September 10

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 January 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

The scariest thing I was forced to remember yesterday was

Quote

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
70 percent of books published do not earn back their advance.
70 percent of the books published do not make a profit.
(Source: Jerold Jenkins, www.JenkinsGroupInc.com)
http://www.humorwrit...tlingstats.html


(Yes this is a pro literacy thread jack.)


Those statistics are freakin' scary... but at the same time, I can't believe some of them.

Like 70% of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years? That just sounds ludicrous. The bookstores I've been in tend to be very busy. Awww, but I just thought of something... I know a lot of people who love reading, but hate book stores, and amazon was their calling. And I don't know for sure, but that statistic's verbage could easily be slanted in that direction (you don't go 'in' amazon). And considering the size and value of Amazon in the market place, there's certainly people going there.




As for some of my favourite books. In the recent years I've come to enjoy David Sedaris and Margaret Atwood. As for the stuff that's been my favourite for years, there is the always obvious Kurt Vonnegut Jr. As well as other authors like Clive Barker and Chuck Palahniuk. Plus all sorts of other contemporary authors. As for the classics, who doesn't list the oldies... so I'm not even going to bother.

As for specific titles. I really couldn't say specifically. There are tons that I love and it would just take me forever to list them all. So I'll go with an easy fall back:

Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

One of my all time favourite Vonnegut books. Strangely not one of his more popular ones, but it's one that hit me just right. Rabo Karabekian is the kind of man I look at and completely enjoy. One of those kinds of guys who has spent their whole life doing great things (well what I would consider great things), but some how remained just out of sight from the rest of the world. I guess the lack of popularity in the book is fitting, a great book amongst great books by a great author, but hiding in the shadows cast by "Cat's Cradle" or "Slaughterhouse 5". Like Rabo its greatness isn't trivialized by hype.

The other reason I loved it was the painting Rabo has painted in the end. I remember reading the preamble to "Slaughterhouse 5", where Vonnegut was visiting a war buddy and the war buddies wife. He was explaining that he was asked to write a book based in WWII (a war he was in), and the wife was very upset, because she felt books like that tend to glorify what is basically a bunch of children shooting each other. And Vonnegut said he took that with him while writing the book... but IMO the book didn't finish its job of getting that message across... it set up all the pins, but didn't knock them down. Bluebeard was where he knocked em' all down...

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 21 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8962
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,586
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

@#lordofduct True those stats may be a bit skewed, but I believe them. My best bro refuses to read. He may read a 'Popular Science' or Maximum-eaque magazine on the toilet but that's it. A few years back he danced like a organ grinding monkey when he was able to suggest a book that I would read (after hearing about the review on the Howard Stern show).

The book was the 'Average American Male'. I can see why he loved it so. The chapters were about a page or two long, delightfully vulgar, and a lot of anal sex. I laughed quite a bit while reading, but wasn't expecting the sack tapping ending. A straight TKO. I moved on to 'The Lie' by the same author and found a depth of characters lacking in the first book with an equally brutalizing ending. I suggested to my buddy he read it but he refused. The size of the book immediately turned him off (he would never finish it) and it was too complex I guess.

Every so often he brings up his shining moment of being able to recommend me a book (as if this makes up for his lack of reading). It is usually to win some intellectual high ground in an argument. After a while I got tired of it and just show him a picture of where AAM is at - towards the bottomish back corner of my mound of books under the nightstand. I had to outline the book just so he could clearly see it. I calmly explained its placement in the pile is relative to time and re-readability.

@#lordofduct - Kudos to the KVj love. Pops is selling his house so I may find my collection I left behind (and hopefully not given away to the Goodwill!).

I am torn between taking the time to reread old favorites and forging new literary ground with my remaining years. A few yearly rereads end up being: the last novel of the Dark Tower series, something from the Enders Game saga, and the Dragonlance Chronicles. That last one is now moved to the annotated version.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 21 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Craig328  Icon User is offline

  • I make this look good
  • member icon

Reputation: 1914
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,448
  • Joined: 13-January 08

Re: And we wonder why

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry but the first word to pop into my head when I saw those stats was "bullshit". That said (and to be fair), I check the source cited. Jenkins Group is a publishing house but they don't post any stats like that on their site (that I could find anyway). The other link eventually devolves back to this site here and the stats they share aren't nearly as pessimistic as those presented here.

It's really the first 3 stats I'm skeptical about. I can believe the bottom 4 somewhat...but not the first three. The first two are counter intuitive in fact. Rephrased: 66% of high school graduates DO read another book someday while only 58% of college graduates do. Understand that in the vast majority of cases, you have to BE a high school graduate to even be a college graduate. Yeah, I'm calling BS on some of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »