• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 7954 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

"Wired In"

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

"Wired In" is a phrase that came from the move The Social Network which I assume most people have seen by now. For those people who haven't seen the movie, the phrase "wired in" is used to describe someone who is on a programming rampage and doesn't want to be interrupted; these rampages generally last many hours.

I think the idea of being "wired in" is pretty cool for two reasons: 1) When you are wired in you should be focusing on your programming and nothing else which, in theory, would make you very productive and possibly allow you to come up with ideas that you might not think of if you were being otherwise distracted. 2) Who wouldn't want to program for 36 hours straight?

Have you ever been "wired in"? Do you think that you are more productive when you are wired in? What do you need to achieve that level on concentration?

I usually find that the library at my university works very well for me. We have a place that we call "The Commons" that provides ~50 computers that are for student use during the hours that the library is open. Unfortunately, the only personal computer I have is a laptop and I much prefer a larger screen (21" or 23" is preferable). So a desktop computer in a quiet setting, a Monster, and a little bit of Atreyu and I'm good to go.

What about you?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: "Wired In"

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: "Wired In"

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Being in the zone is how we nerds work. Rands explains it well here: http://randsinrepose...d_handbook.html
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 January 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

Being in the zone is how we nerds work. Rands explains it well here: http://randsinrepose...d_handbook.html

Thanks for posting this, it was really fun to read! I think I'm going to have my girlfriend read it too, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Yep, the zone is what I call it, when I get there I feel like I'm barely even thinking, the code just pours out and I write so much in one stretch that I'm amazed when it compiles and works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

View Posthookiethe1, on 24 January 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yep, the zone is what I call it, when I get there I feel like I'm barely even thinking, the code just pours out and I write so much in one stretch that I'm amazed when it compiles and works.

Well there's the difference between you and me. My code usually doesn't compile correctly the first 10 times, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

I'm not saying I'm fantastic, not by a long shot, but when my brain is in that place, stuff that I would usually have to think hard about and maybe even scribble out on paper first seems to just fall out of me, and then work a surprising number of times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

Well if it works, it works!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

I usually find that the library at my university works very well for me. We have a place that we call "The Commons" that provides ~50 computers that are for student use during the hours that the library is open. Unfortunately, the only personal computer I have is a laptop and I much prefer a larger screen (21" or 23" is preferable). So a desktop computer in a quiet setting, a Monster, and a little bit of Atreyu and I'm good to go.

Why not buy your own larger monitor? That is way more efficient than staying in the school library.

Plus you can code naked or topless or in ya boxers....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

View PostJ-e-L-L-o, on 24 January 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

Why not buy your own larger monitor? That is way more efficient than staying in the school library.

Plus you can code naked or topless or in ya boxers....

I usually dont respond to many topics on the forum, I mostly just read. This however was hilarious! Does anyone else do this? I know I do. It gets quite hot sometimes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

I code in jello's boxers! That gets me in the zone :)

The third floor of the atrium at my college had a great place for writing code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:25 AM

haha. I noticed the sarcastic and witty tone on this forum, so I guess i chipped in early considering I have less than 10 posts lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

I can't code nekkid because I have a vinyl chair and things stick to things after a while, but I often do it in just a pair of shorts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Guest_shark*

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well it didn't come for the movie. We have been using the "wired in" term for years(mid 80s). I guess it just depends on the circles you hang around. To get there its a maze that you navigate through and that maze is full of assumptions and variables that need to stay available or in your personal RAM in order to resovle the issues encounter when writing complex code. So the deeper you get "in the the zone" or "wired in" the more effecient you become. This is really true for any creative process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 January 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

Such an amazing article! Thank you for sharing this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have not seen The Social Network, nor do I plan to. In the past I used to get a 2 liter Code & a bag of $2 popcorn (taste just like movie popcorn), & really hash out a project. Recently I have been using binaural beats to enhance my attention span.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +