4 Replies - 677 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What changes you have noticed over the years in your profession!?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

"Continuing education is extremely important for engineers and computer professionals. The rapid advancement of technology makes it critical that people in these careers adapt to and utilize new techniques and breakthroughs as soon as they become known (or, preferably, before!)
The fast pace of technological advancement can make your training and knowledge instantly obsolete, forcing you to take a full load of courses to catch up"

does it happen guys is it true!!!

mean you started your career in engineering field and than the tide forced you to take another knowledge or your previous knowledge is of no use now!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What changes you have noticed over the years in your profession!?

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What changes you have noticed over the years in your profession!?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

I've noticed that there is no reason for someone to put three exclamation marks in a row, or to use an exclamation mark and a question mark together in the title of their thread.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

For some reason my QBASIC and LOGO knowledge is not being used and is getting quite rusty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

You won't come into work the next day and suddenly have to learn a whole new skillset because of a brand new language just being released. I'd say the trend is, though, that it is reasonable to expect to learn some new languages every couple years in your job (again, depending on the nature of your job). You're probably not going to be a Java programmer exclusively for 25 years in the field.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

I've noticed that if you DO stick with a language or two and become proficient in them to the point of borderline expertise, there ARE firms out there who are sick to death of the revolving door of younger, impatient and half-baked developers. There IS a value to being knowledgeable, productive and stable.

The other change I've noticed, at least personally, is how much more I'm expected to know above and beyond development in my preferred language. I've been called upon to build servers, manage networks, manage databases and do all the normal functions of a DBA, keep an eye on the mail server, etc. Used to be when I was a younger coder, they didn't think I knew anything about that stuff. I still don't but they seem to think that because I've been doing X on a computer for Y years and a mail server is also a computer that I must know how to manage a mail server too...that kinda thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1