2 Replies - 406 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Language Suggestions for a Website with Calculator?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I have looked through the tutorials on various ways to code web applications and decided to just sign up and ask straight out what you guys think.

I need to make a website that basically has a section for a game skill calculator. Basically like i guess the wow calculator but for a different game. I know php, java, C, Vb.net, Html, CSS, and learning python. My real question is i want the calculator to be a gui where as you move skills from one box to the next it calculates that skills cost from the total points and if it has enough will raise it to the correct listbox (or whatever container). I would like this to update from a DB (does not matter what kind at this point) without having to refresh the whole page. So i was thinking maybe python or ajax or something. The issue im running into is that i can make the program like in vb or whatever but i seem to get lost on how to make it work on a webpage and act like a program that is running.

Any suggestions on an easier approach to this? i was thinking of just using php get/post but im at a loss on how to proceed. This is for a school project and im not expecting code or whatever. Just some ideas on how to proceed on building the app.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Language Suggestions for a Website with Calculator?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Language Suggestions for a Website with Calculator?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well, there are many ways of doing this, and if you are more comfortable with java you could just make an applet which is responsible for everything (this would be the GUI, and talking to the DB).

However, here is the way I would approach the problem:
1. Set up a database (figure our what fields you want/ need and get that up and running)
2. Connect to the database through PHP
2a. Make sure you can select from the database
2b. Make sure you can put information into the database
3. Make the layout (GUI) in HTML
4. Add the drag/ drop functionality (Javascript)
5. Use Javascript to communicate with the PHP to get and put information into the database (Ajax)
6. Test it out and make sure it is all working

NOTE - Most of the logic behind this will be in the Javascript, PHP is just a means to an end (saving and loading information in the database).

Hopefully that makes sense
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Language Suggestions for a Website with Calculator?

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

thanks this is pretty much what i was expecting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1