8 Replies - 1377 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

can i design a virtual machine?

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

i wana ask that can i design a virtual machine as my final project???
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: can i design a virtual machine?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can i design a virtual machine?

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Go ask your professor. How would we know if it's okay for you to do that as your final project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

i wana ask is it possible to build r not?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

If you don't know that, then you probably can't. A virtual machine is not something you crank out in a night, or even a week, and that's if you're a really experienced programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

View Postdua_hu91, on 26 January 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Its your final project. It doesn't matter if it can be built. Obviosly it can because others have done it. Microsoft... VMware... It only matters if you can build it. You don't have to ask anyone here if you have the skill to do it.

The fact that you have to ask if you can do it pretty much demonstrates that you don't have a plan or the skills to do it. You should probably try to find a project that matches your skillset.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Designing and Building are two very different things.

If you want to design, that is easy - you just need to come up with what the VM will do and how it will do it. Create interfaces for it and all that stuff. This can normally be done without any code at all.

If you want to build, well that is a different story. Building a VM requires a lot of programming knowledge. In a more basic sense of the word a VM can be responsible for something like reading a file and doing what it says to (Example being: 3 + 4 stored in a file which the VM reads and computes then outputs somewhere else). Depending on your programming knowledge and what you want the VM to do this could very well be impossible for you to accomplish for a few years.

Now, assuming this is for a programming class I would also say that designing a VM won't be enough for a project, but as tlhIn'toq said, how are we supposed to know what your prof will allow?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Seeing as we have VM's like the Java Virtual Machine, I would say yes it's possible. Now is it feasible for you, possibly. You'll need a lot of background in language design. I'd also suggest a compiler design course, and a computer organization course. Since yours is a final project, it won't be anywhere near as sofisticated as the JVM. You don't have enough time or people to make it happen.

If any of what I said above sounds scary, then this isn't a good project for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

There are numerous virtual machines in existence, therefor creating one is clearly possible. Whether you are capable of doing so, only you can say. Given the tone of you questions, I'm guessing not. Sorry.

Of course, there are may constructs that can be called a "virtual machine". Language interpretors are often called VMs. There are a number of style of abstraction layer that claim the moniker, not just hardware emulators.

So, it's what you mean by VM and your skill level. One you can tell us and we can point you to resources, since you haven't found them on google? Your skill level only you can decide.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

View Postdua_hu91, on 26 January 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

In general? Yes.

For you? Not a chance. If you have to ask that question, you're not capable of doing it. I'm not going to sugar coat this like others have. If you don't already know if it's possible to build a VM, then you simply don't have the required skills, much less talent with said skills, to perform this task. Find something else for your project, preferably something you can write on your own.

I'm usually much more laid back, but threads like this really piss me off.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1