• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 6094 Views - Last Post: 31 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Best ninja app you've made?

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I forget sometimes I build nifty ninja apps and use them frequently until someone points them out. Take for example my app that started as a 'first three websites i normally go to' launcher that morphed into a tracker for paying bills, and will shortly be telling me the weather. A buddy was over and asked about it - "was that a new droid app?". Ah.. no... He quizzed me about pieces of it and then ended up calling me a dork for doing it. Sure I'm a geek , but an efficient geek that sees a need and fills it with gooey .NET code.

I see a lot of reoccurring posts were people as "I've been learning VB.NET for two weeks and I want to test my metal! Give me a project to do (lullz I can' think of one my own!)!", but I want to know what *you've* done? Where have you found a spot that could use an awesome app and you served up some .NET?

How about you made a math-worksheet program for your kids? An MP3 organizer? Weather app? Screen shots if you got them!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Best ninja app you've made?

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best ninja app you've made?

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

** Moved to Corner Cubicle for better exposure **

Now, I can't say my application is "ninja", but it does employ lots of hacks to quickly handle and correct major speed problems that arrive when parsing (malformed) data. When the DICAPI competition was in place, there were obstacles in the XML that had to be overcome. And my application can open nearly any topic in under 6 seconds:
http://www.dreaminco...169-dicbrowser/

Not something I'm proud of now that I could likely make it faster, and a good bit of it is spaghetti code that needs winding. It's also Java, not .NET, but I thought I'd share as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

My previous roommate bought a strange contraption. It was a digital clock, that wirelessly communicated with some hardware outside. This hardware measured weather conditions, such as temp, precipitation, humidity, and wind velocity.

Well, we noticed this clock had a serial port. Hmm, we thought, I wonder if we can extract data from it? Well, it turns out there was some software that existed for the clock that would pull data from the serial port and dump it to a text file at regular intervals.

We decided the best use for this info was a website. We made a "backyard weather" site. It showed indoor and outdoor temps (with graphical thermometers), along with all the other information. Also, it would download a snapshot of weather.com's radar map for our area, and we had a web cam set up pointing out the window to see the back yard and the sky. It was actually a pretty neat app. I impressed a few people with that.

I actually have done an MP3 organizer before. I had them very poorly organized, and I needed them dumped into a single directory for something (I was working on a silverlight MP3 player). So I used C# to recursively flatten (and rename) all the files.

I've done a few other "ninja" things. I used to raid lead for a WoW guild, so it was my job to run combat logs and post them. Combat logs, however, don't automatically stop or truncate, so I'd frequently end up with 100Mb+ txt files. So I wrote an application to truncate the logs to today's date. Nothing big, but it saved me a lot of time, since WordPad and Notepad choked on these files. (Notepad++ didn't, but it was still a PITA to do it manually).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Well, I guess the one I've written for myself that has impressed a lot of people is a Cost Calculator that takes our products and pulls the current cost along with the average cost (cause Quickbooks doesn't have FIFO inventory!!!!!!!!!!!) from Quickbooks and allows me to look at our current margins for each product. The kicker though is that I have incorporated a What If scenerio where I can set an upcoming price against an ingredient and see how it affects that margin. Then on top of that, it pulls every other product that also has that ingredient in it and ensures that the new cost doesn't require a price increase on any of them.

It took me about a week to write it and has saved me so many hours since then that I get to spend more time on DIC :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

It's not .NET but I wrote a CF app (am still adding to it) that takes my tracked contract time, receipt info (gas, food, business related bills I pay) and a copy of my base household budget and calculates the incoming funds, the taxes I need to hold out, the savings I can afford to put away, the allocation for the budget and the left over I can spend.

That doesn't sound all that impressive but the business logic under the hood is what makes it special. For instance, it adjusts what I have to take out for taxes as my savings is put into IRAs, my deductible expenses and so on. I have also tracked all my regular bills for the past year and it allocates the midpoint between the average amount and the max amount and then compares the current date to that when the max amount occurred (for things like water, gas, electric and so on) and adjusts itself upward to make sure the bill is covered. Then, after I enter what we actually paid, if we overpaid it takes the remainder and lumps that into either savings or spending money depending on the time of year (it starts to ramp up savings a little more as Xmas approaches).

It's still got some bugs to it (there's an assload of moving parts) but I've been running it on the side since October and it's getting close to the point I can abandon my several manual processes and go with this. Hopefully by about April or May.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

I wrote a completely secure communication app based off of the Vernam Cipher (Never been broken). In addition it does a secure delete of files that can overwrite 1, 8, 16 or 32 times with random garbage before it renames the files 26 times and finally deletes the file. It also generates one time pads (with true randomization based off of the cryptology namespace. I wasn't fond of the thought that Microsoft shares "back doors" with some entities so I added several additional features to the encryption and one time pad generation.
It also has 256 bit encryption built into it so that whenever a OTP is created, it can be encrypted with a prearranged password as it is made. That way all you have to do is send the otp to the receiver. It can be used in conjunction with e-mail/internet or if someone sends a msg via snail mail, posts something on a bulletin board etc. I plan on adding a morse code text and tone generation feature for the encoded messages but haven't gotten around to it yet.

This post has been edited by Shadar: 27 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

I wrote an app to retag a bunch of mp3s at once. It isn't the best thing I've ever made but it is the most used thing.

They have a bunch on the web but they were all missing one feature, automatic track numbering. I had literally thousands of old time radio shows that needed to have track numbers to play in the correct sequence on my mp3 player. A few hours later they were all tagged with authors, genres, and track numbers.

This post has been edited by eker676: 27 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

POPULAR

I once converted one of the applications I supported at work into an RPG. It would even randomly fire people when their character died.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

It would even randomly fire people when their character died

I'm going to have to call bs on that one. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

Nope.. the code was there.. well at least the shell of it. Getting to tech-support took a long time I heard... you had to find their avatar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

What is this "Ninja App", some sort of Frankenstein application tailored to your liking and perhaps not murderous? I googled it and this thread popped out again. No other information found. Talk about recursive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

Shortly after I started programming I made a very simple travel cost calculator(based on price of gas and my cars mileage). I used VB, the program was written horribly I'm sure but at the time I thought it was the coolest thing in the world :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

View PostJstall, on 06 February 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

Shortly after I started programming I made a very simple travel cost calculator(based on price of gas and my cars mileage). I used VB, the program was written horribly I'm sure but at the time I thought it was the coolest thing in the world :).

built my own click and drag code block builder that integrated between sql2000 and 1.1.. call me lazy but buliding sqlclient code blocks for sproc's with 50+ inputs and outputs and having restrictions of using named columns client side because some coworkers had trouble keeping track of indexes...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Got tired of searching for crap and built myself FastFlick. Give it the name of the movie and it finds and downloads it automatically. Only used it to download free films of course *cough*.

Built an application that solves a complex math problem for one of my classes last year, still selling it to this day to friends who are in that class now. Yesterday made a cool 20$! :D No source code of course, only delivered the executable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:09 AM

I suppose the only code I've built like this was when I first started coding in college, I've never had a TV but always watched movies and stuff in bed on my Windows machine, and I hated when I'd fall asleep and it'd stay on all night. So what started from every night running "shutdown -s -t 3600"/"shutdown -a" to making a quick script I could just double-click to making a GUI in VB that would allow to manage it on the fly. I still use it every night.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +