4 Replies - 1336 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advancing My Career

Post icon  Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:28 AM

Hi dream folks, not sure if this is the right place for such a thread.
Basically, over the past wks, I have been thinking about whats the next step to take.

Currently, I have graduated from uni with a web development job in PHP. However, I dont envision myself doing PHP forever, one day I would like to switch to Java/C/C++/C# and perhaps network/embedded programming. Since I do have a few years of industry experiences, it isnt possible/ethical imo to apply for graduates positions, so I am aiming at experienced hires/entry levels.

So here is the dilemma, I have commercial xp in developing with PHP but not in the fields I wish to advance to, how should I go about gaining the experiences needed for these fields? or how would I prove that I am as "experienced" as someone with 1-2 years in, for example, Java Development?

Any advice would be appreciated!

edit: opps, sorry, how do I move this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Advancing My Career

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advancing My Career

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

It's really not hard going from one programming language to another. You could write a few applications in the languages you hope to work on as a potfolio stuffer. Aside from that, most employers will understand that a good programmer is versatile and can easily move between languages.

EDIT:
Also, most employers will respect you for wanting to try new things. It shows that you're interested in the field and you're not just there for a paycheck. My portfolio has a lot of independent work in it and I think I landed my current job largely because of it.

This post has been edited by atraub: 28 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well, I'd say if you are worried about that I would start looking either for some desktop side work baring your company is ok with that or join an open source community.

I recently graduated myself and landed a job doing mostly ASP.NET however I had no web experience at all. I already know I don't want to do web based work for the rest of my career and I personally worry about in the next couple of years when I'm ready to move on what trouble I might face moving back to the desktop. First I want to get my personal site up which I've been wanting to do for a while then I'm going to be finding an open source project that I can add to my resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

Thanks guys. Do you think that trying some competitions like Google CodeJam and possibly some freelancing would be good too?

This post has been edited by D-2010: 29 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

It can't hurt. If you do well, talk about it. If you 'show room for improvement' just sweep it under the rug.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1