7 Replies - 461 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Bug: posting replies doesn't always work.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

I just spent ten minutes making a long post in the "fast reply" section of a page. I click post, and it takes me back to the forum list view. Nothing gets posted, no errors.
This hasn't happened to me for a while, but I guess I've been less active on the site. It happens, though, and it happens way too often. It's _the_ most frustrating thing here. Maybe I should copy any text before I hit "post" in case of bugs, but I shouldn't have to.

Also, the list of unanswered topics on the front page is still broken. It still shows me things that look interesting, I click on them and either get a permission denied error or a not found error. Yet back on the front page, they're still there.

These are both "why should I bother using this site" level bugs.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bug: posting replies doesn't always work.

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bug: posting replies doesn't always work.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

This is the first time I've heard of the fast reply not working like that. It's what I use most often and have never had it redirect me instead of making the post.

Can you provide what browser you're using. Link me to the post you did make so I can run the text through our mod_security and see if anything is up there. Also, the problem could be that while you're making the reply, the topic gets moved/trashed if it's a gimme teh codez or in the wrong forum. If that's the case, I know sometimes the topic ID changes, or the permissions change between the time you load the thread and the time you hit reply. This isn't a bug as much as it's our mods/forums leaders/mentors keeping things tidy. For long replies, it certainly doesn't hurt to do a quick ctrl-a/ctrl-c.

I'll search our logs for your IP to see if it's something error related, though I have a feeling it's just a thread being moved/deleted.

The Unanswered topics on the homepage I'll fix up when I get a chance next week. We're working on a forum upgrade again on our dev server, so lots going on and been very busy with the code and server improvements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

It was http://www.dreaminco...-php-dinosaurs/
It's happened to me a few times. I think it's only when using fast reply, but can't guarantee that. I was either using chromium or firefox 4. Probably chromium, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hmmmmm, the topic wasn't moved, so that eliminates that theory (damn!). Are you behind a work proxy/firewall at all? Have you ever had problems with CSS or images not loading on the site? The FastReply works off of a .js file that is served from our globally distributed CDN and I know that occasionally hiccups and if you got a bad cached version or something it can cause issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Never had any loading problems - that I can remember - and there's no proxy here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

The only time it has ever happened to me was a problem with cookies logging me out. I just cleared cookies and its worked since.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

Yeh, could be a cookie issue. Do you type dreamincode.com to get here or use a bookmark or anything like that?

I looked and it doesn't appear you tried to post around midnight our time. Your post shows 3:15AM. I don't think any cron jobs run then that would take the database offline or lock it.

Can you think of anything that is consistent when it happens? Posting code? In a certain forum? Certain times of day? From 1 location/computer and not another?

I don't see any errors in apache. I'll glance in our forum logs and maybe there's something in there...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

I can't think of anything, no. I post from home and from work, on multiple different browsers and haven't noticed if I've been using the same one (I realise this isn't helpful) I use lastpass to log me in on any browser and almost always get to the site by clicking the link in an email notification.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1