11 Replies - 2622 Views - Last Post: 31 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Linux App Store

Post icon  Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

POPULAR

http://www.toptechre...p-an-app-store/

An Application Store will bring more users to the Linux platform. Third party developers will also be lured to the platform. The normal users can find and install applications that will be added to the current package management.

I like the idea of an app store for Linux, however, I am not sure how well that will maintain the idea of Open Source software. The article is right - it will attract people to Linux, but what does that mean for hard core Linux users and their ideas of how Linux should be vs. how the majority of the world does?

Discuss.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: Linux App Store

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Linux App Store

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

I am against. I think it will bring the wrong crowd to Linux and it's not just about developing open source applications it's the idea of free software and collaborative development that powers Linux. I wish more people did use it, but I don't want to see restrictions imposed. Linux is about freedom to do what you want.

(There was a longer rant but when I submitted it got lost again)

This post has been edited by westforduk: 30 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

I don't see how having a central place to find and install software limits the hardcore users from installing whatever they want however they want. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

This idea sounds great and is a welcome addition to the Linux word. Installing should be much easier on Linux than Windows because of the way shared libraries and repositories work. I'm glad they're making this.

And what do you mean when you say 'the wrong crowd'? Just because someone uses Linux doesn't make them special. :lol:

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 30 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

POPULAR

One of the really nice things about Linux has always been some killer package managers, which essentially is an app store. However, using them can be cryptic at times, they're usually distro specific. Or, even worse, a distro can't figure out which package manager to commit to.

A Linux pipe dream, for a long time now, has been something like a Linux Standards Base (LSB). To package up an app for one distro and be sure it will work on any without worry. If you've ever used the tools (Autoconf, etc) that make things like "./configure" work, you know pain.

There is a potential, in an app store model, to actually produce a standard that developers can embrace. If your distro supports "Linux App Store" then it can be sure to run my software. Now that is exciting.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

View Postwestforduk, on 30 January 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

I am against. I think it will bring the wrong crowd to Linux and it's not just about developing open source applications it's the idea of free software and collaborative development that powers Linux. I wish more people did use it, but I don't want to see restrictions imposed. Linux is about freedom to do what you want.

(There was a longer rant but when I submitted it got lost again)

So for how long were you using Linux then? Synaptic was in Ubuntu for ages - the same app store without the ability to pay for the apps. Now what's going to be done is implement a layer that will allow application purchases through a unified repository aggregator. I see nothing bad about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have used Ubuntu only a little. I don't like how much like Windows it feels. I know I sound like no2pencil here, but I really don't like the fact that it doesn't "feel" like Linux compared to other distros (like the one I use, arch). But each distro offers something different I suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

From a user (not developer) point of view, I'm confused at how this differs from the package manager I'm used to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

From my view I actually like the App store idea, because where in the free software licenses it says you can't ask money for free software? Of course App stores will bring closed source software to linux users, but I think those linux developers who find the need for money and have a free software projects will use the app store to get some money.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I think Apps store for linux would be an awesome idea. There would be more variety of Apps and developers would get the incentive to build more smart and powerful apps. I hope the idea gets implemented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

View PostHuzi94, on 30 January 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

I think Apps store for linux would be an awesome idea. There would be more variety of Apps and developers would get the incentive to build more smart and powerful apps. I hope the idea gets implemented.

The app store idea is already implemented on Ubuntu Software Center, but sadly it is only for Canonical Partners.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Lindows had an app store called Click'N'Run back in 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linspire#CNR).

The concept is definitely not foreign to Linux, although most distributions have strict policies against including closed-source software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

View Postcfoley, on 31 January 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

From a user (not developer) point of view, I'm confused at how this differs from the package manager I'm used to.

I agree, distros such as Ubuntu have had package managers that are almost identical to app stores for ages!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1