5 Replies - 1752 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

"Interim Processes"

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

A project I am currently working has been split into two phases. The first phase is just about complete (I wasn't part of this phase) and I will soon be taking over the second phase of development for the project. However, until the second phase is completed I've been tasked with building an "interim" step that will allow the users to have the basic functionality, at least in part, that is supposed to be completed in this next phase. Of course my fear is that this temporary process is going to turn into a beast with constant requests from the users for features to be added to it. Just wondering if anyone else ever has to deal with similar situations of implementing interim processes and how you handle it if it begins to look like the temporary is not going to be so temporary.

This post has been edited by Nakor: 31 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: "Interim Processes"

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: "Interim Processes"

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

Before I got to your last line I was going to start with something like "temporary fixes have a habit of becoming permanent." I have learned that through many different jobs in many different industries. I always approach every job with that in mind. Even if it likely will be only temporary, try making it flexible enough so that you can expand or change it down the track or at least use some parts of it, at the very least you'll save yourself time later.
As an example, I used to be in charge of maintenance at a resort. One day my boss came and asked me to build a small temporary staircase for the kitchen of the restaurant, until we could get something better. So I got treated timber, built the three steps, covered them in non-skid paint because it's a kitchen. My boss saw them and said to me "I can't get you to do anything half assed, can I?" That was 4 years ago, and those stairs are still in that kitchen and still holding up like the day they were made.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

Happens all the time. Worse than that my boss has a habit of taking my progress reports and announcing to paying clients "We should have that available next month", despite me saying 6 weeks minimum. So I have learned to not give progress reports, no screen shots, no details in my weekly reports. Just "Continued working on xxxx"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

All my time estimate skills I got from closely following the career of Montgomery Scott. Despite the fact that his immediate superior continues to encounter hurdles that threaten to derail and possibly destroy their company on a pretty much weekly basis, M. Scott seems to always be able to come up with a last minute fix that saves the day. It was he who suggested the padding of engineering estimates for projects such that they could finish them before time so that, upon delivery, they were looked upon as miracle workers for coming in ahead of schedule. Scott said that it helped to have upper management believing that he was indeed a gifted subordinate who could, at times, deliver the unexpected even in crisis situations.

And it never hurt for him to be the only guy who could pull off wearing red to locations where others who tried that never got satisfactory results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PosttlhIn, on 01 February 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Worse than that my boss has a habit of taking my progress reports and announcing to paying clients "We should have that available next month", despite me saying 6 weeks minimum.

Ahh so I see that happens elsewhere too. I'm at my first job now and I find my boss is always doing things like that. He also likes to demo software for them knowing that it is still far from complete... it ends badly at times. He is a great boss otherwise though .

This post has been edited by Jstall: 03 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

It's a pretty common, if sometimes frustrating, motivation technique. If employees think they have plenty of time they tend to procrastinate more. Part of a manager's job is to try to maintain just the right amount of pressure to keep people productive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1