• +

22 Replies - 9164 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

End of IPv4 as we know it

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

http://news.cnet.com...d&subj=DeepTech

Yesterday marked an important step toward the end of Internet plumbing as we know it.
Specifically, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) allocated two of the last seven blocks of Net addresses that use today's Internet Protocol verision 4 (IPv4). That will trigger the automatic distribution soon of the last five, one each to the five regional Internet registries (RIR) that oversee the distribution of the numbers farther downstream, to the Internet service providers and other companies that actually need the IPv4 addresses

Is your ISP ready for the switch? The last blocks have been reserved for companies that truly need IPv4 and the rest of the world has to move over to IPv6. Unfortunately, the two aren't 100% compatible, and that means that this could be the next major issue (with the first being the 2000 date problems)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: End of IPv4 as we know it

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: End of IPv4 as we know it

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:15 AM

The switch to ipv6 will be annoying, but I hope the ISP's at least collaborate a bit when to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Yeh, this is pretty crazy and a much bigger deal than I think folks understand.

http://twitter.com/ipv4countdown
http://penrose.uk6x.com/

And our data center is almost out of IPs. We'll probably start exploring the switch to IPv6 pretty soon. I believe all of our software/apps are compatible.

http://blog.softlaye...-ipv6-not-ipv5/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

I would suggest you do it now because according to your own twitter countdown there, they are losing roughly a million or so IPs in about 4 to 5 hours. This means that, according to that counter, we will have run out of IPs for sure within the next 24 or so hours.

So either that count down is wrong or we are seriously eating up the IPs and will run out super quick. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

I believe that's fairly accurate Martyr2. The number of IPv4 IP's left is supposed to be exhausted any day now. That's not to say all of those IPs have been allocated to actual devices, but there will be no more available IPv4 IPs that have not been spoken for.

We (dream.in.code) already have all our IPs we need to operate for quite some time. But we'll eventually want to switch to IPv6 as the next time we do a server upgrade, or something that requires an IP change, we may not have IPv4 available to us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

POPULAR

I think we need to take DIC underground. We must take all precautions to assure DIC's survival. So here are some options...

1) We construct a digital bunker which DIC will live in for the next 2 years complete with post rations, full supply of silly comments, data flow apparatus and emergency power backup. This would be the Noah's ark solution.

2) We can cryogenically freeze DIC and left in suspended animation until the year 2036 where it will be reanimated and with IPv7 addresses. This is the Demolition Man solution.

3) We develop a worm hole which we will push DIC through and into a parallel dimension where IPv4 still thrives alive and well. This is the Slider's solution.

4) Lastly, We make it slip and fall and hit its head on the bathroom toilet where it will come up with the flux compacitor which will make time travel possible. This is the back to the future solution.

So do I need to setup a poll for this or do you guys know what you want to do?

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 01 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 01 February 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

I think we need to take DIC underground. We must take all precautions to assure DIC's survival. So here are some options...

1) We construct a digital bunker which DIC will live in for the next 2 years complete with post rations, full supply of silly comments, data flow apparatus and emergency power backup. This would be the Noah's ark solution.

2) We can cryogenically freeze DIC and left in suspended animation until the year 2036 where it will be reanimated and with IPv7 addresses. This is the Demolition Man solution.

3) We develop a worm hole which we will push DIC through and into a parallel dimension where IPv4 still thrives alive and well. This is the Slider's solution.

4) Lastly, We make it slip and fall and hit its head on the bathroom toilet where it will come up with the flux compacitor which will make time travel possible. This is the back to the future solution.

I vote for #4 :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Just be mindful that if we do go with number 4 you are going to have to get some uranium from some terrorist extremists and when we don't make their bomb, they will probably come after us in an outdated VW van.

Just sayin.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Yup

Net powers: IPv4 is over. All hail IPv6!
The Internet's overseers bid adieu to the last 83.9 million addresses needed to connect devices to today's Net--then took advantage of the moment to evangelize the next-generation Internet and the dangers of life support for today's Net.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com...l#ixzz1Cumwiyk8

This post has been edited by atraub: 03 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 01 February 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

I lol'd epic.

I vote #3 because B2TF was already voted for... and I love Sliders.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

What if we traveled to the past and mated DIC with one of the first life forms? I think this would solve everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

whats the fuss about this? I am no guru in networks but isn't IPV4 just the internet protocal version 4 and 6. How would you know if you have IPV4 or IPV6?

I don't know what I have. I assume I still have IPV4.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

IPV4 and IPV6 are different versions of the Internet Protocol (IP.) One of the main differences between the two versions is that IPV4 allows 4 bytes for the numeric IP address. IPV6 allows for 6 bytes. This means that IPV4has a hard limit of 4,294,967,296 unique addresses while IPV6 has an upper limit of 281,474,976,710,656 unique addresses.

AFAIK most modern computing devices/software supports IPV6. I believe the reason there has not been an official switch to IPV6 is because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

View Posthockey97, on 20 June 2011 - 07:50 AM, said:

whats the fuss about this? I am no guru in networks but isn't IPV4 just the internet protocal version 4 and 6. How would you know if you have IPV4 or IPV6?

I don't know what I have. I assume I still have IPV4.

...and you're a *nix user? Lord man, do some learning. Networking is critical and that's extremely common knowledge.

EDIT - Oh, and did you hear the US is finally switching to the metric system?

This post has been edited by Lemur: 08 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

View PostLemur, on 07 July 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Oh, and did you hear the US is finally switching to the metric system?

Say what? Why?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +