8 Replies - 458 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello world.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I just found this site and plan to use it quite a bit.

I worked for 14 years as a systems analyst on IBM AS/400s, but quit that job (the biggest mistake of my life) in 2000 to move away and start a housing business with my husband. The business is gone and so is the husband, and I couldn't be happier about it! To update my skill set, I am an undergraduate student at DeVry (online) studying CIS with my concentration in Database Admin. I am 44 years old, recently divorced, mother of a 19 year old and a 9 year old!

I am an active member of the forums at Macrumors.com (user name redwarrior). I am dating a moderator on the MR site and have found my place. Anyway, I love my MacBook Pro and OS X, but support my family and friends Windows boxes as well.

I'm looking forward to being helped and helping out here. I promise to search before I post, not ask for help cheating, and to help out as much as possible too (although I can be very shy).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Hello world.

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hello world.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Welcome to DIC redwarrior! I'm new also =P There are alot of great people on here I've found alot of help here so I'm sure you will too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi redwarrior_ and welcome to DIC! I definitely like you're OS of choice! I miss my iBook from my days in middle school. Now I'm stuck with Windows 7 for a few more months until I graduate high school. :(

What languages have you worked with? If I'm not mistaken, IBM does a fair amount with Java as well as COBOL. I'm a Java person myself, so if you find yourself with any Java questions, I'll be happy to help! :)

How far are you into your degree program? We have something else in common as well, as I'm halfway through a Database course this year, and you're in a DBA program.

Again, welcome to DIC! Feel free to contact myself or any other team member if you have any questions or concerns regarding the site! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi Xtron and macosxnerd101; thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I bought my MBP about 3 years ago and never looked back. I love it. I honestly don't understand why anyone would use Windows! But alas, I have to run XP in a virtual machine for my school work. Office for the Mac is excellent, but I have to run Visio and Project in Windows. Bleh!

I coded in RPGLE on the IBM midrange computers when I worked for Clayton County (GA) from 1986 until 2000. I loved that job, and now I'm hoping that I will soon find another like it.

I coded in C#.NET in my OO Programming class, also HTML and JAVA and Javascript, but don't have much experience with any of that except HTML. OO analysis, design, and coding is new to me, but it's the way I think so I do well with it.

My focus was Web Applications, but I got bored with that quickly. DB is just more fun! My divorce was just final and so I have finally gotten my official transcript from Clayton State College (Data Processing Associate Degree in '86), so I should know soon exactly where I stand with my degree progress. I'm thinking I'm less than a year away from finishing, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Thanks for offering the help macosxnerd101. I may take you up on that some! This semester is easy, but no coding, just design. :( Next semester I'll be taking Business Application Programming with JAVA, Web Application Development with ASP.NET, and Advance Database (Oracle - DB2). I'll be taking my last science class too, but that's just a minor irritation along the path.

I've stayed on the Dean's list and think I could be a professional student! My boyfriend thinks I should continue my studies and go into teaching, I enjoy it so much.

Wow. Didn't mean to write so much, but I guess it's allowed here. I have gotten into "trouble" a little bit on Macrumors forums for being so talkative! So I have a paid membership there and hang out in the private areas so my chattiness is OK. :D

Nice to meet everyone. I look forward to getting into some fun discussions about coding in the next few weeks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

High-five the IBM AS/400 usage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

Ouch. I would hate to have no coding classes for a semester. Luckily this year my Discrete Math class provides a ton of opportunities for programming! I share your disdain for Project and Visio.

Again, welcome to DIC! I'll see you around the forums! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Welcome, all! The AS400 was the first ever platform that I first wrote my "Hello, World!" in Pascal. Wow, those were the days. :)

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 02 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postredwarrior_, on 01 February 2011 - 01:40 PM, said:

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I just found this site and plan to use it quite a bit.

Hi RedW, welcome to DIC and I have to say it's nice to see some more people closer to my age doing this kind of thing :)

I'm 42, recently unemployed and finding myself taking the bite of a failed economy with no certifications no degree and no entry level 'fall back' jobs open out there.

My foray in to hotel management didn't fly; couldn't pay the bills and wait another year or two hoping for that promotion that might never come along.

Anyhoo I'm back to self teach myself java and hopefully android and recreate my future starting from scratch.

My first program in school (waaaay back when) was on an AS/400 in COBOL BTW! I really liked programming in COBOL. Top down logic comes so naturally to me I can visualize an entire program (or a big sub routine) and could often get them to run on the first try, ah those were the days /lesigh

Sounds like you have more prog. experience than I do but if I see something posted I'll help if I can, or maybe ask you for some help!

Welcome again, good to see you on here.

Guy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Wow. That sucks. Good luck man. I am living in my parents' basement while attending DeVry. I'm very fortunate to have them to take care of me during this transition. My boyfriend is also very good to me. I can't complain. I'm ready to start looking for work though. I don't like living off of other people. :cry2: I'm going to have some bills too.

My ex-husband and I were in the housing business, so being so small, of course, we declared bankruptcy and shut the doors. I never want to be in business for myself again. I also did some free-lance web hosting and design work, but don't do well asking people for money and tend to get taken advantage of.

Anyway, good luck! I'm right there with ya in the job hunt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1