1 Replies - 226 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good times are ahead of me

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hey everyone,
Well I'm returning to coding after a very long break to pursue other interests. I was heavy into php and web development back in my day and a little client side stuff. I left IT and went into law enforcement and haven't looked back. What is funny is how much my IT/computer experience as helped me in the LE field. For the past ten years law enforcement technology has really surged and most administrators and chiefs have no idea on how to approach it and usually end up over paying too much for technology. I seen this first hand and thought to myself that how this effects officer's jobs. Layoffs are all over the country and more then ever each officer is accountable for the department's budget.

I got tired of the technology we were using really fast. Out dated and over priced computers to fax machines. I first started by finding cheaper computers that were more powerful then the current systems we had on hand. I then took on implementing in car computers and setting up mobile broadband connections. Easy stuff, but not to the typical street cop. Now I'm moving on to our report writing system. I tried everything that is out there and found that pretty much nothing meets my expectations as a police officer. I see a lot of software developers using out dated technology or was the GUI was poorly designed. I made suggestions to a few companies. But here I am, jumping back into coding.

To save from typing a long book, I'm getting back into Java which I barely remember when I first taught myself over 8 years ago. But I was surprised to see how far Java has came over the years. I also have a interest in Python. Java will be my focus for now as I need a portable platform that I can get my ideas off paper and into code much faster. If anyone has opinions on that please share with me. I still keep wondering over on Python's website and wondering if I'm making a mistake....something sexy about the python language. Maybe it's the rebel in me and my love for true open source. If I recall from the day I don't remember Java being open source but see that it is now. I'm really impressed with the GUI toolkits and the ease of use.

Enough of my long drawn out post. I'm glad to find this website and look forward to learning from everyone.

This post has been edited by geekwithabadge: 03 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good times are ahead of me

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good times are ahead of me

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

View Postgeekwithabadge, on 03 February 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

Enough of my long drawn out post. I'm glad to find this website and look forward to learning from everyone.

Hey geek, awesome to see you here on DIC.

I don't share the same background but I find myself with similar thoughts (worries?) about platform of choice.

I'm focusing on Java but wondering if my current learning-project plans would be *much* better served by something like php and an sql database.

I'm curious to see what you come up with and what you decide to do.

Guy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1