• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 12938 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

A Developer's Résumé

Post icon  Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Hi there,

Okay so I finaly got a change to get my foot in the door! I spoke to a Systems Analyst from a well respected company, and she said that they always looking for people and they have learnerships etc running so I should send my Resume to her.

So now I really gotta make this Resume shine like the light of the gods! What exactly should a Developers Resume look like? What should be included and what should not, what should the layout look like, is a few colors here and there a good thing?

Just all that jazz. I've attached a copy of my current Resume so that I can get some suggestions and ideas going. PS - Don't judge, I've never worked a day in my life as a developer so I hope my Resume at least looks OK.

Thank you for any help!

Attached File(s)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: A Developer's Résumé

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: A Developer's Résumé

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

Throw that thing away and start over.

Search online for resume tips, look at some examples. Choose whichever one looks right for you, and fill it out. Here's a link to one that looks decent

http://www.allfreere...e-example-1.jpg

Usually you start with your Name, Address, Email, and Telephone. Then the following sections:

Objective (write what you're looking for and what you are trying to achieve)
Education (school, major, gpa, expected date of graduation)
Experience (your work, and what you have accomplished. Be specific)
Activites/Projects (student organizations you're part of, projects you work on which are unrelated to work)
Skills (programming languages and frameworks that you know)

You can also put human languages you're fluent in, in a separate section.

This post has been edited by Nikitin: 08 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:18 AM

Wow it's that bad hey? LOL.. What was it that made it look so terrible? Too much colors, didn't look professional? Thanks for the link! :bigsmile:

Plus where you said "Activites/Projects (student organizations you're part of, projects you work on which are unrelated to work)".
I don't have time for anything, I work during the day and study at night, I wish I did have time for projects unrelated to work. So does this include stuff like hobbies then? I've never really believed that companies care what your hobbies are.. What you think?

This post has been edited by Dean_Grobler: 08 February 2011 - 03:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:06 AM

What does anyone think of the new resume? Better?

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

looking at a it
  • I'm drawn to the blank spaces. You should leave a gap down each edge so the interviewee can make notes.
  • 3 pages too long. (2 Pages max).
  • Key skill are lost, too for down. Put them on the first page.

Don't overlook the filename Resume is to plain. Identify the this one is yours, which why I use the formatting of {my name}_CV_{date}

A few to look at for ideas
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for more advice, my CV really is starting to look a lot better. When I look at my old CV now, it really does look like a piece of crap to be honest. :shit:

Look at my new, juiced up version of my CV. I'm acctualy quite proud of this one! I'll wait for more replies from you guys just to be sure, and forward my CV to the chick tomorrow morning.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Dean_Grobler: 08 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

from my experience, 1 page should really be the max. there really isnt anything there that can't be shortened up like the education section. you don't need bullet points for all of that info. you really should only go to 2 pages if you have like 10-15 years experience. and you need a cover letter.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Must be 1 page.

Wasting too much space with bullets that contain virtually no relevant information.

In OBJECTIVE section, you still haven't properly described what you're looking for and why.

SKILLS takes too much space. Nobody really cares that you know photoshop or office, or illustrator. Swing doesn't belong there. It's just a library. "Windows" is a good shorthand for all versions that you know.

Remove KEY STRENGTHS. You can talk about them in a cover letter. Leave only facts on your resume.

EDUCATION - 3 lines is all you need for each school (excluding high schools). Name of school, major and graduation date, gpa.

WORK - Describe in plain sentence what you did and what you have accomplished. Ex: "Reduced object rendering time by 75% by applying Floyd's algorithm, leading to 10% reduction is system's boot time". You're spending a whole line on phrases like "scanning", and "basic IT assistance". That's just a waste of space. Also, take off reasons for leaving.

Unless you actually have references, take off "References Available Upon Request". You need to rewrite your whole resume. Don't just change looks.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

My opinion:

• Lose key strengths altogether
  • For all work experience, ditch the bullet points and write 2-3 CONCISE sentences describing what you did...and especially which of your skills you used there
  • Never EVER supply a "reason for leaving". Hell, even on applications I don't fill that stuff out. If they want to know, they can ask me in an interview.
  • For education, lose the bullet points again and restate their content in 1-2 sentences. As suggested previously, include GPA (IF it's good across the board).

And yes, develop a cover letter. The cover letter is just as, and in some cases, more important than the resume. The cover letter gives you a chance to identify the position you're applying for and extol your virtues in a direct checklist for how you meet the needs of their job.

Finally, re-order the whole thing:

• Objective statement
  • Work experience
  • Education
  • Skills

Remember to be brief, accurate and do not use passive voice anywhere in either the resume or cover letter. Don't embellish too much but don't be afraid of tooting your own horn either. DO NOT LIE. While not all employers check what you're claiming on a resume, some do and some go back years later in the event you're being considered for a promotion. Getting busted lying then will be the worst old decision you'll live to regret.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 08 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

#10 Guest_David*

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

The objective statement has recently been falling out of favor; it's sort of a relic of a bygone era. It's optional at best, since the fact that you're applying for the position clearly implies that your objective is to get that job.

Here's what I include, in order, as a developer:

Name, email, phone,
LINK TO YOUR WEBSITE OR BLOG (which should hopefully have examples of your work), education/major/gpa/awards and recognition

Then, for each job you've had, list specific accomplishments/tasks/goals you did. For example, "Developed a cross-platform mobile app framework in RoR and Perl" (Yeah I know that's ridiculous but I'm in a hurry so you get the idea)

I hope that simplifies it a bit from what these old-timers have been telling you. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

The "old-timers" tend to be gainfully employed developers and some of us are responsible for hiring other devs. You know...cause companies want people who actually have experience doing this kind of thing.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'll honestly say I'm surprised you didn't recommend friending the interviewer on Facebook or perhaps posting your MySpace page as a resource as well.

Just so we're clear (and because I doubt in your haste you read the entire thread or the OP's resume) he's a kid. Therefore, the chance that he has a blog that contains information of use to an employment decision (a positive employment decision) is likely quite low. And not everyone has a website.

Thanks for posting your opinion but you'd do well to leave the snark at mom's house next time, sport.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

you had good suggestions craig, and I really don't have anything to add to those

but really? How do you pull facebook and myspace out of including a link to one's blog or website. My resume includes my website's address. And a lot of people have one now a days, especially in the tech field.

If OP doesn't, then he can exclude that part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the negative rep. I'll waste my breath on this one time only.

The label of "old timers" and the recommendation to include a website or blog link was pretty clearly explained in my post. For example, I have a blog. There's no way in hell I'd include that on my resume (this corresponds to the "positive employment decision" qualifier). I thought I was fairly clear that I was expressing an opinion and that that opinion was based on being one of those devs who have actually acquired employment as well as being in a position to evaluate and hire developers.

You apparently believe your superior experience qualifies you to downrep an opinion based on my own. GFY. Again, have a nice day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with everyone on this thread. What is happening here is that you are looking to start a new career, so obviously your previous work experience is, for the most part, irrelevant. What would be more important is your education (post-secondary only), and any open-source or freelance work you have done. Also, I agree that if you have a blog then you should reference it on your resume. If you don't have a blog, you should make one!

As per Craig's suggestion to lose the bullets, that is just ridiculous. The last thing you want to do is make the recruiter actually READ your resume the first time through. Resumes are generally looked at twice if they are good; the first time is to weed out any obvious not-hires. Bullets are your best friend on a resume, potential employers have too many resumes to look at already.

I recommend that you Google a "Functional" resume and have a look at that.

Hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

if your young, why the only jobs you have ever had be irrelevant? and you shouldn't link your blog just because you have one. If you had a blog about video games and movies, or a blog about your feelings, there is absolutely no reason for you to put that in your resume. the bullet points can be good but i think it was just pointed out that in this case, they are a little overdone. Your better off having 1 bullet point with a descriptive skill that might cover a couple of related skills than splitting up into 4 different 2 liners. White space can be bad either horizontally or vertically. If your resume is left heavy, it will still look thin and uninspired.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +