7 Replies - 2214 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2011 - 07:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Best CF hosting provider

Post icon  Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

I wanted to drop a quick post asking who you all use for a CF hosting provider, whether you're happy with them and what you like/dislike about them.

Currently I use Viviotech for the sites I own and they've been pretty good to me so far. Took me a long time to find a hosting provider that offered OpenBD (open source CF) but I'm getting more and more contract sniffs asking about building hosted CF solutions...so it looks like I'm going to be doing some provider searches shortly.

So, who do you use/like/recommend and why?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Best CF hosting provider

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best CF hosting provider

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

HostMySite.com was the biggie when I was doing CF development, not sure how they are these days, but we did some basic stuff with them and had a good experience if I recall correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Neil Bailey*

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Check out Ray Camden's blog - coldfusionjedi.com. In my experience (I worked almost exclusively with ColdFusion for more than a decade) he is the guru for all things CF.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Right, Ray's blog is a good source for CF code related questions. This is more of a "who have you used and how did you like it" thread about hosting providers.

We actually feature a link to Ray's blog as one of the items in the Coldfusion Resources thread in the CF forum here. That said, he has one post specifically about CF hosting but it was mostly in reference to a UK based inquiry and it was nearly 3 years ago.

@skyhawk133, they're now hosting.com and they offer CF9 in a cloud environment...which is kinda interesting. Thanks for that mention. I need to look at that a little closer later on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

My company does our own hosting, so I am not sure of many good ones, but from conversations with other developers who have used hostmysite.com, I have heard the security is awful. Apparently their security allowed you to do cffile commands and list out all of the other sites and change files within. I have also heard that GoDaddy has awful support.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

I know a fella that uses GoDaddy but the CF stuff he does on that site is low level site content stuff and he chooses it a lot of times because the client asks for GoDaddy...presumably because of the prices.

I've never used them.

Who's your company? Do you offer public hosting? If so, pimp yo' stuff! :)

This post has been edited by Craig328: 10 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

I looked at GoDaddy for my clients last year b/c they threw the name out (and they weren't pleasent to deal with, plus I didn't have the time to really do more research). Long story short, they charged extra for ColdFusion on either Windows or Linux servers. I did all my server-side work in PHP, so no big deal for me. But I reiterated to them that if/when they hired a web developer, ColdFusion would cost them extra on the server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

The thing I meant with the prices was that GoDaddy tends to charge (or so I understand) less to deploy and maintain a CF site than other CF hosting providers. Hosting providers that have PHP and CF plans tend to charge less for PHP and that seems fair as PHP lacks an equivalent to ColdFusion administrator and such. However, while you save on the hosting, you're going to pay more in time for developing the same site in PHP as opposed to CF.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1